PDA

View Full Version : Revit on Vista: settings?

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-08, 10:42 PM
Can someone post exactly what settings and process you used to get Revit 9.1 to run in Vista? We have tried a number of things, including disabling Themes and Desktop Composition as well as enabling Run as Administrator, all under Properties/Computability for Revit. And still Revit barfs!

Thanks,
Gordon

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-09, 12:09 AM
ahh and windows claims another.i have heard for numerous people that vista is good to have on 1 machince so that you know how it works, but it should not be used on any other computers.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=8991785&linkID=3770375

read this link. seems you are out of luck

Justin

dhurtubise
2007-02-09, 12:15 AM
Make sure you disable UAC (User Access Control)

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-09, 12:44 AM
Make sure you disable UAC (User Access Control)

That is off too. Aiiii!!!!

Thanks,
Gordon

iru69
2007-02-09, 01:53 AM
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=8991785&linkID=3770375

That doesn't really shed any light on the issue. It only indicates that Autodesk does not officially support Revit on Vista.

Can someone post exactly what settings and process you used to get Revit 9.1 to run in Vista?
I am using Revit Building (Revit Series) 9.1 (20061202) on Vista Home Premium.
I did not disable UAC or change any other system settings.

1. I installed Revit as an "administrator" (i.e right click on application icon and select "Run as administrator"). Revit installed successfully without error.

2. Once installed, I clicked on the properties of the Revit shortcut and under the "Compatibility" tab, selected the "Privilege Level" to "Run this program as an administrator" box. I didn't change any other settings (I previously tried running in XP compatibility mode, but Revit "barfed").

3. Revit loaded up without error. However, I was unable to turn on the "Use OpenGL Hardware Acceleration" in Revit Options.

4. I installed the latest nVidia graphics card drivers for Vista (for my nVidia card). I was then able to turn on hardware acceleration.

5. Revit has been working very well so far (fingers crossed).

However, I have not been able to get AutoCAD 2007 to work, while others indicate they have, so there may be issues of hardware that influence whether certain software will work correctly or not.

Gordon, at what point does it "barf". What kind of error message are you getting, if any? Any other details about your system or setup that you think might be relevant? Did you install Revit by "Run as administrator"?

Running as administrator appears to be different than allowing Vista to run a program it does not "trust". Frankly, I'm still a little confused about UAC, administrator privileges, security details, etc. I'm still looking for "root"! (linux administrator account for those who don't know).

ariasdelcid
2007-02-26, 08:01 PM
I get Autocad 2007 to work running it as administrator. No luck with Revit. Any new ideas?

sdjordison
2007-03-02, 04:26 AM
Just bought a new Dell. It's running Windows Vista. I run into the problem of compatibility of Revit 9.1 with Windows Vista. Here's what I discovered:
1. Right click on the Revit 9.1 Icon.
2. Select properties.
3. Within the Revit 9.1 Properties Dialog Box, select the Compatibility tab.
4. Within the Priviledge Level Section, activate "Run this program as an administrator".
5. Select Ok to accept and close the dialog box.
6. Now double click on the Revit 9.1 Icon and the application will open.

Bonus 1
Want to have all uses of the same computer to be able to access Revit 9.1 using Windows Vista?
2. Select properties.
3. Within the Revit 9.1 Properties Dialog Box, select the Compatibility tab.
4. Select "Show settings for all users".
5. Within the User Account Dialog box, select continue.
6. Within the Revit Properties Dialog Box, under Priviledge Level, activate "Run this Program as an Administrator".

Bonus 2
Tired of Revit 9.1 opening as less than a full screen view?
2. Select properties.
3. Within the Revit 9.1 Properties Dialog Box, select the Shortcut tab.
4. Beside the "Run" option, change "normal window" to "maximized".
5. Select Ok to close the Dialog Box.
6. Revit 9.1 will now continually open in full screen mode.

Just a few tips and tricks coming from an Autodesk Revit instructor at a vocational high school in Colorado. "Teach em young" Autodesk Revit video tutorials soon to come on my new website "ColoradoCadClips.com".

sfraney
2007-03-05, 07:48 PM
Has anyone actually had a chance to run a performance test with Revit on XP and Vista? I'm hearing that Vista may run Revit slower? Any truth to this?

clog boy
2007-03-06, 08:23 AM
My guess is that it may run smoother on a dualcore processor with lots of ram (since Vista seems to use process handling for both cores). But Revit isn't Photoshop.

Lashers
2007-03-06, 09:46 AM
I stuck another HDD in my machine last night and reinstalled XP Pro. Too many "fatal errors", once I get Revit installed on the new HDD, I will have to consider if to move everything back to XP or "hot swap" my drives during the day to get to my other programs! ha . .

After all it's only another 4 weeks before we get to play with RB2008!

clog boy
2007-03-06, 09:51 AM
Agreed. I'd rather swap disks than betting on dual boot. Some peepz are switching to Vista way too soon.