PDA

View Full Version : Draw Miter walls always

roccodanna
2007-02-09, 03:06 AM
How do you change your settings to only draw mitered walls?

mibzim
2007-02-09, 03:44 AM
I don't know if you can... revit usually does a pretty good job of automatically joining walls, and it is very seldom that i need to use the wall join tool...

truevis
2007-02-09, 04:08 AM
Good wishlist item, but I know of no way to set this. I've had to Edit Wall Joins for every corner I've wanted mitered.

dhurtubise
2007-02-09, 02:17 PM
It is not possible to set miter as a default option. Maybe a wishlist item ?

aaronrumple
2007-02-09, 02:19 PM
No and why would you want this? I find that miter screws up more joins than it fixes, especially when you have multi-story joins to deal with. Contractors just don't miter walls in the real world....

truevis
2007-02-09, 04:20 PM
No and why would you want this?...
When you want to make a model for presentation/rendering purposes.

whittendesigns
2007-02-10, 02:21 AM
absolutely right aaron that it's not the way it's done in the field, but I always mitre my corners.

one reason is that I get visibility problems with it. for instance, if I export to sketchup, the 2 lines show through instead of one. on gable end walls, there's always this little triangle piece that looks like a void. another is my corner board family has a damn tough time connecting to the walls. it seems like it just wants to attach to one.

comhasse
2007-02-11, 02:12 AM
on gable end walls, there's always this little triangle piece that looks like a void.
Does this happen even when you attach all the walls to the roof?

whittendesigns
2007-02-11, 03:58 AM
well, it does on the gable wall. I dont attach the others

if you attach all the others, you get a sloped top plate, which is not correct either

douggodfrey
2007-02-11, 04:35 PM
I too would prefer Miter as default for the same reasons as Whittendesign stated. Even in the Revit presentations, the butt joint creates additional lines that aren't necessary. Remember those drafting classes, "Every line means something"

mibzim
2007-02-12, 03:36 AM
well, it does on the gable wall. I dont attach the others - if you attach all the others, you get a sloped top plate, which is not correct either

mmmm... i see your point. But, i don't think the problem here is walls not mitering, rather the attach tool has limitations. I would like to see that improved so that you can have only certain wall layers atatched, or the option of horizontal attachements - same as with columns (sorta)

Martin P
2007-02-12, 08:33 AM
So why is there a mitre option at all, if its so wrong to use it maybe they should just get rid of the option all together? - Or maybe its there because sometimes people will want mitred corners?. Why is it such a great leap of imagination to see that those same people might like to set that as the default option?

When using stacked walls it is problem that you cannot do this - Revit cannot cope with short sections of wall, especially if stacked, unless the joint is set to mitre. I have to go through pains to get a short section to work which I wouldnt do if I could set to Mitre - End of discussion really??

mibzim
2007-02-12, 10:53 AM
Martin - I completely agree with you - I probably didn't clarify myself properly in the last post though. I do use the mitre option and i think it is a must have tool. I was just suggesting that this particular problem of the "triangular void space" left behind by the butt joint might be better solved by introducing a better attach tool. Just throwing ideas around i guess...

aaronrumple
2007-02-12, 01:38 PM
well, it does on the gable wall. I dont attach the others

if you attach all the others, you get a sloped top plate, which is not correct either
In that instance - just change your butt condition. You have the gable wall stopping short. The gable wall should go the full width of the gable - then the other wall should butt into it. The triangular are will clean up perfectly.

whittendesigns
2007-02-13, 02:49 AM
this is true. it is easy to do that. I also have trouble sometimes with my cornerboards looking for one wall and I try and try and try to get it on the other and it just won't go. it might be my family though. I haven't screwed with it for a long time.

truevis
2007-02-13, 03:16 AM
this is true. it is easy to do that. I also have trouble sometimes with my cornerboards looking for one wall and I try and try and try to get it on the other and it just won't go. it might be my family though. ...
Try my cornerboard. It's line-based. Set the workplane first.