PDA

View Full Version : Architectural - Dynamic Casework (augi-basecabinets)

Chris.N
2006-03-08, 01:47 AM
I agree, some of these just seem so basic ....

Note to Chris ..... never mind about the "great blocks I was working on". Bosley here beat me to the punch. hahahaha. oh well, more time to work on the next big block. ;)ok.....
bbosley, rico... are you guys interested in what i've done to your base cabinet elevation DBs?

added countertop & backsplash lines (sorry bbosley, but i changed your heights a bit)
added 3 Drawer config (Based on Design Center blocks) w/ top drawer size option
added 4 Drawer config (Based on Design Center blocks)
added options of toekick lines up or down for each side of cabinets (independent actions)
I also changed the 'stretch' action to 'move' actions on the objects that where only getting moved.

please let me know what you guys think. ~Whew!! time for some sleep....~ http://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/red_eyes.gif

bbosley
2006-03-08, 02:28 PM
ChrisN
Nice work on the casework blocks.
We use 1 1/4" countertops because the 3mm edge banding doesn't come in 1 1/2" (or at least the color choices are sparse).

Getting mixed feedback on including the backsplash in the block. We have a lisp routine that draws the top with appropriate overhangs at finished ends, or backsplash returns where cabinets come up to walls. Most people here seem to want to be able to draw the backsplash separately. I told them they can clip the blocks if they need it that bad.

I especially like the fact that you took the time to correctly label the distance parameters. Seemed like a no-brainer once I saw it, but never occured to my lazy mind before then.

I also like the toekick on/off - I don't really understand lookups so I'll have to do some help file reading on those I guess, but I like how they work.

One other request I[ve been getting is some way to tell the heights of the cabinets when you're stretching them. This isn't such a big deal with the base cabinets - only a few choices. But the wall cabinets I think I have in 3" increments from 12" to 30 or 36". Can anyone think of a way to get visual feedback during the stretch command (similar to the width stretch) but doesn't print?

Chris.N
2006-03-08, 02:37 PM
ChrisN
Nice work on the casework blocks.
We use 1 1/4" countertops because the 3mm edge banding doesn't come in 1 1/2" (or at least the color choices are sparse).

Getting mixed feedback on including the backsplash in the block. We have a lisp routine that draws the top with appropriate overhangs at finished ends, or backsplash returns where cabinets come up to walls. Most people here seem to want to be able to draw the backsplash separately. I told them they can clip the blocks if they need it that bad.

I especially like the fact that you took the time to correctly label the distance parameters. Seemed like a no-brainer once I saw it, but never occured to my lazy mind before then.

I also like the toekick on/off - I don't really understand lookups so I'll have to do some help file reading on those I guess, but I like how they work.

One other request I[ve been getting is some way to tell the heights of the cabinets when you're stretching them. This isn't such a big deal with the base cabinets - only a few choices. But the wall cabinets I think I have in 3" increments from 12" to 30 or 36". Can anyone think of a way to get visual feedback during the stretch command (similar to the width stretch) but doesn't print?I'm glad you like them. it was enjoyable hard work...
understandable on the distances, but since i moved the height node to the finished top height, all you need to do is stretch up teh cabinet base up 1/4" and erase the countertop lines to please your crew. (understandable with the lisp routine)

as for the lookups, the big thing to remember is to make them 'allow reverse lookup'... (lower right of lookup dialog) that frustrated me till i figured that one out.

have you thought of putting a vertical dim line on a 'no-plot' layer?

Rico
2006-03-08, 02:59 PM
Nice work on the casework blocks. indeed. I'm going to answer Bosley first, and then I'll get to you, Chris.

Getting mixed feedback on including the backsplash in the block. We have a lisp routine that draws the top with appropriate overhangs at finished ends, or backsplash returns where cabinets come up to walls. Most people here seem to want to be able to draw the backsplash separately. I told them they can clip the blocks if they need it that bad. how about adding another lookup for either backsplash on or off?

I especially like the fact that you took the time to correctly label the distance parameters. Seemed like a no-brainer once I saw it, but never occured to my lazy mind before then. doing this helps keep complex Dbs organized. Especialyl helpful when doing Lookups.

One other request I've been getting is some way to tell the heights of the cabinets when you're stretching them. This isn't such a big deal with the base cabinets - only a few choices. But the wall cabinets I think I have in 3" increments from 12" to 30 or 36". Can anyone think of a way to get visual feedback during the stretch command (similar to the width stretch) but doesn't print? How about simply using Dynamic Input? There are various settings that allow you to use it un intrusively. Personally, I did away with the command line about 4 months ago and have not looked back. The sheer amount of screen space I've gained is astronomical. I also did away with most toolbars, aside from a custom one that I created where every command that I need for which I do not know the keystrokes is located.

Ok, Chris ....

I thought your blocks were excellent, but I was a bit let down. I had misunderstood what you were going to do with the drawers on the base cabs and I thin that's why I felt like I was left hanging a bit.

What you did for the 3 drawer cab was awesome (the adjustable drawer height) - I imagined this feature to be available in the 4 drawer and the 1 door 1 drawer cabinet (and its respective 2 door counterpart). So when I went in and saw the 3 drawer, I was like: "Sweet, he did it for all of them" and then when I saw the rest of them I was like: "Dang". I think the option of being able to modify drawer heights (all of them, if possible) would be a great touch for those who deal in Custom Casework. And that is really, my only beef with the blocks. Kind of miserly, I know. And I hope it isn't taken as being ungrateful, cuz I'm not. But you asked for my opinion, and I gave it to you.

Not a big deal, because everything else works great. Just as it's supposed to.

The toekick mods are a nice touch. Very useful for that long string of cabinets. The inclusion of a counter top is a great time saver too, IMHO. But I can see how Bosley's request for no top to be included can also be useful. I don't imagine this to be too difficult. Then that way, both camps (top and no top) can be satisfied knowing that all the bases are covered. I like how the lookups stretch and move with the DB. Nice touch. And the inclusion of the dimension at the bottom left is pretty cool too. It's really funky to see all the ideas we toss around come to life like that.

I'm not sure what I can say other than the fact that you made the cabinets I had such a hard time making. You made them work and work well. So kudos to you on that. Between your base cabs and Bosley's uppers, we're completely set right now.

Chris.N
2006-03-08, 03:06 PM
Ok, Chris ....

I thought your blocks were excellent, but I was a bit let down. I had misunderstood what you were going to do with the drawers on the base cabs and I thin that's why I felt like I was left hanging a bit.

What you did for the 3 drawer cab was awesome (the adjustable drawer height) - I imagined this feature to be available in the 4 drawer and the 1 door 1 drawer cabinet (and its respective 2 door counterpart). So when I went in and saw the 3 drawer, I was like: "Sweet, he did it for all of them" and then when I saw the rest of them I was like: "Dang". I think the option of being able to modify drawer heights (all of them, if possible) would be a great touch for those who deal in Custom Casework. And that is really, my only beef with the blocks. Kind of miserly, I know. And I hope it isn't taken as being ungrateful, cuz I'm not. But you asked for my opinion, and I gave it to you.

Not a big deal, because everything else works great. Just as it's supposed to.
:( (j/k) ;)
well, thank you... just for sake of pushing the limits, what exactly were you expecting. (for adjustable drawers, i did only have so much time last night before MBH posted 'missing' posters) i think i will add that adjustablity to all drawer vis's, but would like to hear what your thots are....

Rico
2006-03-08, 04:20 PM
:( (j/k) ;)
well, thank you... just for sake of pushing the limits, what exactly were you expecting. (for adjustable drawers, i did only have so much time last night before MBH posted 'missing' posters) i think i will add that adjustablity to all drawer vis's, but would like to hear what your thots are.... Well, what you did for the 3 drawer cab. The ability to stretch the height of the drawer .... but for ALL the drawers. In all cabinets. That's all. :roll: that's all.

I've designed top drawers to heights of 4" to 8" respetively. Plus if the bottom drawer is a file drawer, then it can't be the same size as the others, it has to be something like 12" or more. So the ability to customize drawer heights would be awesome.

I know it takes a lot of work. Believe me, I know. My baby is very demanding on my time and does not understand why daddy becomes a hermit once or twice a week - due to either OT or DB related things. But it's all good. When I see those DBs take shape and work properly it's all goooooood.

Anyway, aside from the drawer height adjustability, everything else on the blocks was great. GREAT.

Chris.N
2006-03-08, 05:31 PM
Well, what you did for the 3 drawer cab. The ability to stretch the height of the drawer .... but for ALL the drawers. In all cabinets. That's all. :roll: that's all.

I've designed top drawers to heights of 4" to 8" respetively. Plus if the bottom drawer is a file drawer, then it can't be the same size as the others, it has to be something like 12" or more. So the ability to customize drawer heights would be awesome.

I know it takes a lot of work. Believe me, I know. My baby is very demanding on my time and does not understand why daddy becomes a hermit once or twice a week - due to either OT or DB related things. But it's all good. When I see those DBs take shape and work properly it's all goooooood.

Anyway, aside from the drawer height adjustability, everything else on the blocks was great. GREAT.well..... if i get time, i will attempt when able. at the mo, those mods are all that's needed in our office, since we like to let the client and supplier fine-tune our layouts when needed. (we're a mostly commercial group of archies, and only dwell on millwork when specifically asked to do so)
anyway!! these are fun, but now back to makin' $$$.....