PDA

View Full Version : Section in Family

ford347
2007-02-11, 07:34 PM
I am trying to cut a horizontal section in a family in the exterior elevation view and it will not let me. It will only permit me to draw the section vertically. I wasn't aware this was a restriction in the family editor. I would assume since a plan view is basically the same thing, maybe that's why this happens? I wanted to use symbolic lines to represent my sash, glass and mullions. Problem is, I have the sash loaded into my window family as it is a seperate family component. In the sash family I've made the sash and glass not visible in plan view, so I can't see them in my window family to place my symbolic lines. I could just temporarily make them visible, but that's a lot of going back and forth, so I thought if I cut a section horizontally in the elevation view, I may be able to see the components and trace with symbolic lines and reference the sill plane....but I never got a chance to because of this limitation.

Josh

dbaldacchino
2007-02-11, 09:50 PM
A plan IS a horizontal section, so I guess that's why it won't let you put it in. When editing a family, even though you might be in a plan view and model elements are set to not display in plan view, they should still appear greyed out. I guess this doesn't hold true for nested components.