PDA

View Full Version : Applying Multi Label to Grid Head Family

Firmso
2007-02-11, 11:05 PM
Hi,
Is there a way to have a multi-Label on a single Grid bubble head family?
I have a Renovation project with As-Built plan drawings showing existing Grid lines. I want to use those existing grid lines in the renovation project along with my new Grid lines I want to add on to. But, in order for me to use the existing grids I need to have a text symbol outside the grid bubble identifying the existing grids with say "(E)" Label. I know I can just add a text in the grid family but I want to be able to have control when I want to show it on my drawings or not. Is this possible?

Thanks

PS: Any workaround will be greatly appreciated.

dhurtubise
2007-02-12, 02:39 AM
How about creating a second family with a prefix E. Then simply swap them

mibzim
2007-02-12, 03:15 AM
How about creating a second family with a prefix E. Then simply swap them

The only problem with this is that grid heads are project wide - they will show the 'E' in every view...

Firmso - i don't know if you can... that would be using an annotation to describe another annotation. I'm not sure what would be the best way to achieve what you're trying to do... grid heads are unfortunately not like level heads which can be turned on or off in particular views.

Maybe a wishlist item? I certainly find it frustrating that grids are not flexible enough.

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-12, 03:24 AM
Some firms use different grid head shapes for existing versus new. Would that work?

dbaldacchino
2007-02-12, 04:20 AM
Individual grids can be turned off in each view. Grids need to be phase-aware. There is no way to use filters to control them either. The only way is to use worksets. I'm working on a project where we had to use worksets to control their visibility. I found ouot an interesting thing about linked files in the process....

I linked the structural project file and did not open the "Existing Grids" workset since we're not showing them anywhere in our documents. I thought that this change, made in my local file, would be recorded in the central file and thus all other locals. This wasn't the case and I had to manually do a reload from in each local file and close the Existing Grids workset.

Firmso
2007-02-12, 04:43 AM
Some firms use different grid head shapes for existing versus new. Would that work?

That is the other option we were looking into.
Thanks to all

mibzim
2007-02-12, 10:42 AM
I thought that this change, made in my local file, would be recorded in the central file and thus all other locals. This wasn't the case and I had to manually do a reload from in each local file and close the Existing Grids workset.

We have found the same thing... reloading in one local doesn't mean after saves to central that every local is updated. Also noticed that filters applied by one user do not always appear for every user!

dbaldacchino
2007-02-13, 01:46 PM
I guess if this technique is desired, one should make sure no one is in their locals, get in the central file and make the change (load and close worksets in the link that you don't want) and create new locals for the team.