PDA

View Full Version : STACKED WALL WITH DOOR

psmith.133315
2007-02-12, 09:24 PM
The door extends beyond where the stacked wall changes types (ie, brick with frame above), and the door frame align with the outer extents of the wall, the brick. As you can see the door frame is in the wrong location and needs to set back with the frame-wall part of the stack wall, not the brick. Can this be accomplished?

Calvn_Swing
2007-02-12, 11:29 PM
It is totally do-able.

You'll just need to really change the door family. Essentially, what's happening is that the door family is set with the casing aligned to the outer edge of the wall. You don't want this to happen. Second, the frame of the door is not constrained, so it is defaulting to matching the offset from the finish faces of the wall as it is drawn in the family. What we do at my office (for ext. doors) is to lock one face of the frame to something significant (some offset from the face of the interior wall usually) and then dimension the frame profile and give it a type parameter value. We then make however many types correspond to standard size door frames that are reasonable for that type of door. (Usually we just do all the standard sizes.) I'm not a big fan of casing personally, and this example shows why, but you can switch the casing's workplane to a refrence plane, and then make the extrusion properties match up to where you need it using instance parameters. Or leave the extrusion properties alone and dimension the reference plane off the wall centerline and edit the location that way (still use an instance parameter I think). This way you're ditching the casing where there is brick, and making the casing only where there is siding. (What probably would be built). If you really want casing to wrap, you can basically make a custom door just for this instance and make the dimensions of the casing match the dimensions of the brick and siding exactly. But, back to the point, it can be done...

The Sweg
2007-02-13, 12:29 PM
Also keep in mind that you can re-host a door to set against the proper wall within a stacked wall.

From a 3D or elevation view, click on the door, and in the options bar click "Rehost", then click the wall that you want the door to rest against.

HTH