PDA

View Full Version : Beam height control at wall

Andre Baros
2007-02-12, 10:24 PM
First time I'm really drawing structures in Revit Building... and I have an odd problem/best practice question.

I have a beam system spanning between a wall and a beam. The wall extends up past the level I am currently working on. When I lower the beam supporting the system that edge drops with it... but I have no similar control over the edge supported by the wall. How do I drop that edge?

OR should I be using some other method?

Calvn_Swing
2007-02-12, 11:54 PM
I haven't worked with beam SYSTEMS yet either, but in working with plain old beams, I select the properties dialog and there are offset parameters for each end of the beam. You might find something similar (though judging by your post count you've probably already checked there...)

Toodaloo

Andre Baros
2007-02-13, 12:12 AM
Yeah, no problem with individual beams, just not getting the beam systems to work the same way.

mibzim
2007-02-13, 04:02 AM
Andre

We have found that the best way to work with structural beam systems is to set the work plane to the roof / floor that they are supporting, rather than using the beams / walls that support the system.

If its slightly more complicated than that, or you dont have a simple work plane that you can set the beams system to, check the '3D' parameter in the system properties and you will find that the beam system attaches itself to the top of the wall if you have picked it as a support. You can even edit the profile of this wall and it will adjust to have a slanted top.

I couldn't, however, find a way to set the beam system to only go half way up the wall - maybe you just need to have two walls on top of each other if your wall continues up past the beam system?

truevis
2007-02-13, 01:32 PM
Have y'all tried making a Reference Plane, naming it, and making the Beam System on that?

Andre Baros
2007-02-13, 03:45 PM
Actually, most of my beam systems use reference planes, however, this seamed like such a simple situation since my beam and wall were already there that I just dropped in a beam system and didn't run into a problem until we needed to lower the structure in that area. I've since added a level to control the lowered structure since there are now multiple areas all dropping the same amount.

When you use a reference plane, how to get the ends of the system to clean up... when a system spans from a beam to a wall, it cleans up at both ends... not so with systems which are placed on planes.

Thanks