PDA

View Full Version : Revit Bug

neb1998
2007-02-13, 01:18 PM
First off, if this is a windows xp error then someone at autodesk needs to call them and find a patch, microsoft releases patches for a living so it should be no problem.

WINDOWS CANNOT BE DISPLAYED - ERROR

Caused about an hour of lost work because walking away from revit causes the program to self destruct.

This needs to be fixed, no other programs i have ever used have this problem - sure they are a little slow sometimes but they dont break down and crash and cause lost work.

This needs to be fixed, among other bugs.

aaronrumple
2007-02-13, 02:05 PM
Did you submit the file and error to support? They can't fix it if they don't knnow about it...

dhurtubise
2007-02-13, 06:33 PM
This usually happens because of a hardware issue. First turn off OpenGL in Revit. Then in Windows and see if it still happens.
But it usually allow you to save your work

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-13, 06:43 PM
First off, if this is a windows xp error then someone at autodesk needs to call them and find a patch, microsoft releases patches for a living so it should be no problem.

WINDOWS CANNOT BE DISPLAYED - ERROR

Caused about an hour of lost work because walking away from revit causes the program to self destruct.

This needs to be fixed, no other programs i have ever used have this problem - sure they are a little slow sometimes but they dont break down and crash and cause lost work.

This needs to be fixed, among other bugs.

Somehow I don't think walking away causes the error ;) What did you do right before walking away? I have found that on big models, doing an export to DWG or DWF will cause the paging file to slowly grow, and once it hits 110% or so of physical ram Revit will crash. This is a slow process, so I often grab a coffee when I do an export, and I am thus not there to see the actual moment of failure. Not the same error, but it might be worth firing up Task Manager the next time you walk away, and see what it says when you come back. And log what Revit is being asked to do when you walk away. Try repeating the exact same task, again with task manager running, and don't walk away. If it really works every time you stay at you desk, then you might need a CAT scan ;)

Best,
Gordon

jeffh
2007-02-13, 10:45 PM
The file and the exact steps to reproduce the crash should be sent to support. If they can reproduce the problem with the given steps development can take steps to look into the issue and see what the root cause might be.

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-13, 11:43 PM
The file and the exact steps to reproduce the crash should be sent to support. If they can reproduce the problem with the given steps development can take steps to look into the issue and see what the root cause might be.

I have yet to see support able to act in less than a week, AUGI often provides an answer in hours with enough information ;) I usually try both approaches in parallel.

Gordon

jeffh
2007-02-14, 04:17 PM
If the problem is an actual bug, as the post indicates, then support and development are the only ones who can address the issue.

I think you comparison of the AUGI boards to the support staff is also a bit unfair. When you submit to Autodesk support you have one person looking at the case. When posting to the AUGI boards you have potentially thousands of people looking at it all at the same time. Support also has to provide an answer to every problem that is sent in. On the AUGI board everyone can pick and choose which questions to answer. Support also needs to balance severity of issues with response time and work a minimum of 10-15 cases a day. Support is committed to providing a response within 2 hours and a resolution to the issue in 3 business days. Keep in mind resolution may be informing you the issue has been escalated to development for further investigation. Development handles this in a totally different way and does not have the same commitment levels of service back to the support staff. All of that considered I think support does a very god job considering the volume users they support.

Respectfully,
Jeff Hanson, Autodesk (former support tech.)

dhurtubise
2007-02-14, 04:20 PM
Jeff,
support is amazing. You guys rock so like in any business some people get bad experiences and others good. I thin i can speak for a vast majority of users, support is great.
Keep up the good work.

stuntmonkee
2007-02-15, 12:12 AM
Jeff,
support is amazing. You guys rock so like in any business some people get bad experiences and others good. I thin i can speak for a vast majority of users, support is great.
Keep up the good work.

Agreed . . . .I have been pretty happy.

Not that it hasn't come up that the file is beyond repair. And it does suck to find that out after a day or 2 when you're already on a tight schedule. . . .it's still better than having no hope at all.

But that just supports my opinion on always allowing yourself to finish a project 2 days before its due.

Why is that so hard BTW?

neb1998
2007-02-15, 12:16 AM
If the problem is an actual bug, as the post indicates, then support and development are the only ones who can address the issue.

I think you comparison of the AUGI boards to the support staff is also a bit unfair. When you submit to Autodesk support you have one person looking at the case. When posting to the AUGI boards you have potentially thousands of people looking at it all at the same time. Support also has to provide an answer to every problem that is sent in. On the AUGI board everyone can pick and choose which questions to answer. Support also needs to balance severity of issues with response time and work a minimum of 10-15 cases a day. Support is committed to providing a response within 2 hours and a resolution to the issue in 3 business days. Keep in mind resolution may be informing you the issue has been escalated to development for further investigation. Development handles this in a totally different way and does not have the same commitment levels of service back to the support staff. All of that considered I think support does a very god job considering the volume users they support.

Respectfully,
Jeff Hanson, Autodesk (former support tech.)
Agreed, just agravating this issue has been around since at least verion 6.
This was more of a rant at the time.

dhurtubise
2007-02-15, 12:37 AM
Agreed . . . .I have been pretty happy.

Not that it hasn't come up that the file is beyond repair. And it does suck to find that out after a day or 2 when you're already on a tight schedule. . . .it's still better than having no hope at all.

But that just supports my opinion on always allowing yourself to finish a project 2 days before its due.

Why is that so hard BTW?

Don't you work with "designers" ???
Try to have one of them complete a design within the schedule and budget just for fun ;-)