PDA

View Full Version : walls not showing on plan

Michelle Gibson
2007-02-13, 03:35 PM
We revised our main floor plan to have one wall type that incorporates stone up to a 1400mm height, then another wall type that sits on top and has a stucco finish, with its base offset 1400 to accommodate the lower wall section. We are not doing a stack wall (though we did master them!) to avoid wall join problems. We have set the cut plane of the view depth at 1200mm, and the top at 1300mm. That way we shouldbe able to see our stone in fine detail and still pick up windows in our plan details.

Our detail level is set to fine. We have had three reviteers try and resolve our problem, to no avail. The problem is that our stone wall displays as if it was coarse, not fine, and we have a ghosting wall join.

What are we missing?

kpaxton
2007-02-13, 04:10 PM
Michelle,
(Ahem) Picture please :) - always helps a bit! Or better yet - can you make a copy/new of the file - with just that wall type showing the problem you describe? Also, not sure what you mean by 'ghosting' of the wall join - do you mean it isn't cleaning up properly?

My assumptions here:
1) you've got a stone wainscot- that you want to see in plan
2) you have windows extending into the stone? - you want to see the jamb detail?
3) you're trying to do a plan detail and you used View>Callout>Floor Plan?

Remember Fine/Medium/Coarse are all view dependent - so verify the View's setting.
Note that you're view depth is not 'high' enough to see the stucco wall - I assume this is what you wanted.
Check your Phasing of when the wall was created - and how you want it to display. This override can sometimes cause problems.

Kyle

dgraue
2007-02-13, 05:58 PM
We revised our main floor plan to have one wall type that incorporates stone up to a 1400mm height, then another wall type that sits on top and has a stucco finish, with its base offset 1400 to accommodate the lower wall section. We are not doing a stack wall (though we did master them!) to avoid wall join problems. We have set the cut plane of the view depth at 1200mm, and the top at 1300mm. That way we shouldbe able to see our stone in fine detail and still pick up windows in our plan details.

Our detail level is set to fine. We have had three reviteers try and resolve our problem, to no avail. The problem is that our stone wall displays as if it was coarse, not fine, and we have a ghosting wall join.

What are we missing?

If your wall starts on "Main Floor" be sure your Top Constraint is set to "Main Floor" too, then set the Top Offset to 1400mm. The detail should show up. Detail does not show up on low height walls that are set to Unconstrained using the Unconnected Height setting.

dhurtubise
2007-02-13, 07:21 PM
dgraue's tip is the way to go. Always constrain wall from floor to floor and use a negative offset.

Michelle Gibson
2007-02-14, 04:21 PM
Thanks - that was the problem but I had no way of actually knowing about this issue until I ran into the problem! An alternate solution (I think?) is that I could create a reference level at 1400 and attach both the stone wall and the upper stucco wall to that level. One would be a top reference, one would be a bottom reference.

Unfortunately, I did have to go back and reinstall all my wallls as well as doors and windows. One full day down the drain, but I know now!

dgraue
2007-02-14, 06:28 PM
dgraue's tip is the way to go. Always constrain wall from floor to floor and use a negative offset.

Just be aware, if you are using groups where walls are included it is better to go Unconnected with the height of the walls. Otherwise, if your set your walls to the floor above with a top offset you will run into problems with the groups if you ever have to adjust the height of your levels. Currently you can only change level heights one at a time instead of selecting several levels and changing them from say 11' to 10' in their spacing. This wrecks your group. It would be nice if walls within groups had height flexibility without affecting the group (walls do appear to have this flexibility if the top is attached to the floor above but only if the height is set to Unconnected) . As it stands now, you need to edit each group, select each wall and type in a revised Unconnected height throughout the project if heights change.