PDA

View Full Version : Drawing existing plans

tim.101799
2007-02-13, 04:13 PM
Is there any way to set Revit so that all objects you draw / model are put on the existing phase. So far I have to draw everything on the new phase (the defualt) and then change the obejcts to the existing phase.

bbeck
2007-02-13, 04:23 PM
Set the properties of the View you're working in to Existing. After that, any modeling done in that view will be existing.

kpaxton
2007-02-13, 04:25 PM
Tim,
This setting is based upon what the setting is in the VIEW that you creat the elements in. What I will typically do is this:

1) Duplicate your floor plan view - and call it 'First-Existing'.(or something).
2) Then right-click and do a View Properties and change the Phase to 'Existing' (at the bottom).
3) Then change Phase Filter to 'Show Complete'

Items you create in this View, should carry the 'Existing' phase identity.

Hope this helps,
Kyle

rjcrowther
2007-02-13, 11:02 PM
Just to add on to Kyle.

I find it helpful to fully dimension and lock the existing plan. Its existing so locking is good in this instance as there is no need to change its dimensions.

mibzim
2007-02-13, 11:39 PM
Would be good if there was a way to permanently lock / unlock existing phases.

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-13, 11:40 PM
as a bit of a work around you could pin the existing elements, and at least when you tried to do something to them you would get a warning.

Justin

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-14, 12:01 AM
as a bit of a work around you could pin the existing elements, and at least when you tried to do something to them you would get a warning.

Justin

Seems to me that when you are in a view where Existing is Not current, you should not be able to move any thing that is Existing. Same is true for New Work. You want to move it, go to a view where New Work is current. This would stop a lot of the accidental stuff, and still leave things totally flexible, not over constrain the model with pins than then need unpinned when you really do need to move something, etc.

Just a thought.
Gordon

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-14, 12:02 AM
i agree. i was just offering a work around.

Justin

SCShell
2007-02-14, 01:37 PM
Hey there,

I was told by the factory, a long time ago....pinning existing walls that should never move is better than locking it's dimension.
For what it's worth,
Steve

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-14, 01:43 PM
I can understand that, Shell... Locking its dim only means youre going to accidentally drag something else with it, instead of stopping you from moving it. We have some issues with this as well...