PDA

View Full Version : Adding Steel to subcatagories...

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-13, 04:24 PM
I think subcats will not work the way i was hoping to have them work, but ill ask anyway.

We have some overhead Steel canopys in a project, as well as some Crossbracing all over the model.

The overhead steel in the canopies sometimes shows up in the floor plans, and (while im not sure what the implications are) setting each piece of steels analytical projection plane to something other than the ground seems to cure this. It is annoying, however.

So in the object styles, i made a CANOPY STEEL and a XBRACE Subcatagory, hoping that i could go in to the properties of the particular pieces of steel and change them.

BUT, this is something i would have to do at the family level, yes? If so, this is the wrong tool for my application, and i will have to consider other methods...

Thanks in advance, for any clarification you can give me...

Paul Andersen
2007-02-13, 05:11 PM
Aaron, you are correct in that the subcategory would have to be applied at the family level.

Have you considered a filter? There are several ways to accomplish this (one method outlined below)

1. Create a Project Parameter named Steel Type for example. Make sure to select all the categories you want this parameter to apply to (Structural Framing, Structural Columns, etc.) by checking the appropriate category boxes on the right. You will also want this to be an instance parameter probably of the Type text.

2. Once this Parameter is created it will be available as an instance parameter for these categories in your project. Select all of the framing for your canopy and go to the element properties dialog. Type Canopy for the Steel Type Instance Parameter Value. Repeat for the X Brace members.

3. Create a new filter (Settings -> Filters... -> New...) and call one Canopy Steel. Select the appropriate categories at the left and select OK. Set Filter by: Steel Type (Project Parameter you created) -> equals -> Canopy (Value of Project Parameter you created). This filter will now contain all of your canopy steel.

4. Add this filter to any view you wish to control the visibility of your canopy steel in. VV dialog -> Filters Tab -> Insert -> Canopy Steel (or whatever you called the filter) -> OK. You can now control the visibility of your canopy steel with this filter.

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-13, 06:02 PM
A filter would work, i suppose. I was hoping for the subcat because everyone here is already familiar with the VG dialogue, and explaining to them that items were in a new subcat was pretty easy... Before ir ealized it wouldnt work, lol.

A filter will work just as well though... Ill give that a go this afternoon, thanks ;)

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-13, 06:07 PM
A filter would work, i suppose. I was hoping for the subcat because everyone here is already familiar with the VG dialogue, and explaining to them that items were in a new subcat was pretty easy... Before ir ealized it wouldnt work, lol.

A filter will work just as well though... Ill give that a go this afternoon, thanks ;)

Getting their heads around filters is very much worth the time and effort, as there are other places where filters are great also. I like to have Rating Review plan and section views where all rated doors, walls and ceilings show up red. Early on, before any tags are placed, you see how your rated partition scheme is working. NIC furniture is another great use.

Best,
Gordon