PDA

View Full Version : curtain wall panels with angled heads

Max Lloyd
2007-02-13, 05:30 PM
Dear all,

I am working on a new house and have a curtain wall that I have attached to the underside of a roof that is a gable.

I have a curtain wall panel which is a glazed panel with a frame, but it is intended only to be a rectangular shape. The system glazed panel simply adjusts to suit the angle of the roof, but when i try to replace with my panel, it doesn't like it and deletes it.

Can anyone advise how to change it to accommodate an angled head (as the panel hits into the gable of the roof)

I have attached the family.

Many thanks to anyone who can assist!

Kind regards,

Max.

jpyeatt
2010-01-28, 11:47 PM
I have a similar problem and hope post-bump might help us both out.

I have a parapet wall that's designed with open-joint glass panels. I've built a family that closely mimics the one posted here:

http://autodesk-revit.blogspot.com/2007/08/custom-curtain-wall-panels.html

This works great for the typical condition, but the top of my parapet is cut at an angle. The family really doesn't like this, so when I insert it into an angled curtain wall panel (3 sides are ortho, the top is at an angle) Revit deletes the panel. Ugh.

I considered if the top-offset was the problem, and created another family offset on three sides only. That didn't work.

Can anyone help me with this? I need a resulting glass panel that is offset 50mm at the bottom, left and right sides. The top need not be offset. I've attached my family for editing.

Thanks a million.
JP-

dominicsy
2010-01-29, 12:26 AM
Dear all,

I am working on a new house and have a curtain wall that I have attached to the underside of a roof that is a gable.

I have a curtain wall panel which is a glazed panel with a frame, but it is intended only to be a rectangular shape. The system glazed panel simply adjusts to suit the angle of the roof, but when i try to replace with my panel, it doesn't like it and deletes it.

Can anyone advise how to change it to accommodate an angled head (as the panel hits into the gable of the roof)

I have attached the family.

Many thanks to anyone who can assist!

Kind regards,

Max.

I'm pretty new to Revit myself, so this is probably not the best idea, but can't you just duplicate and adjust a mullion family to the width you want and do it that way?

Bastiat
2013-02-05, 06:20 AM
Did anyone have any answers to this query?

damon.sidel
2013-02-05, 01:44 PM
A custom-built curtain panel family will not change shape; it can only adjust the height and width and will not take on a non-rectangular shape. The reason the glazed panel works is that it is a system panel, which is special. System panels are the only kind that can be non-rectangular. So that's the explanation. Now for some possible solutions:
1. dominicsy has a good point: if it is a single panel with mullions or butt-glazing, create some custom mullion profiles and apply those around the system glazed panel.
2. If you *really* need it to be a custom panel, don't attach it to the roof, so you keep it rectangular. Then in your curtain panel family, add a ref line at the top and let the boundary of the panel follow that. You could add an angle parameter to adjust the angle manually for each panel. Then Revit thinks it is a rectangle, but it overruns the height of the panel with your custom boundary.

If option 1 doesn't work and you'd like to try option 2, but I've been unclear, let me know and I can create a quick example.

cliff collins
2013-02-05, 02:01 PM
Or as an alternative method, you could create another separate curtain wall, and use edit profile. (just a thought.)

JB27
2023-11-23, 08:35 AM
I came across this issue recently. In another post on here (https://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?62431-Curtain-Wall-Solid-Panel-Won-t-Attach-to-Sloped-Roof&p=1355368#post1355368), patricks pointed out that wall families can form to irregular shapes like system panels can. Which made me think I could create a wall type of the same material and construction as my curtain panel (which happens to be double-pane glazing in this case, so 2 glass layers and an air layer), and it worked.