PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to add Spec Data?

abink
2007-02-13, 06:44 PM
My boss is convinced to have seen that it's possible to add specification data to each element of the 3D model. E.g. click on a mullion and have it say what type/number of Kawneer mullion it is.

So far I can see that under Properties it's possible to write anything in the Comments field the Identity Data section. It doesn't show up when I hover over the element though.

So I'm asking if in general there is a spec/3d model work-together in Revit?

I found an older thread on E-Specs [April 2004] - did that fizzle out? The website (wwww.e-specs.com) still exists though, and probably looks as good as it did 3 years ago.

Thanks,
Axel

archjake
2007-02-13, 08:11 PM
My boss is convinced to have seen that it's possible to add specification data to each element of the 3D model. E.g. click on a mullion and have it say what type/number of Kawneer mullion it is.

So far I can see that under Properties it's possible to write anything in the Comments field the Identity Data section. It doesn't show up when I hover over the element though.

I found an older thread on E-Specs [April 2004] - did that fizzle out? The website (wwww.e-specs.com) still exists though, and probably looks as good as it did 3 years ago.

Thanks,
Axel
Sure its possible, but I'm not sure that you could get the info formatted exactly how you would like.

Right now we add shared parameters to families and then create a schedule to show the information. It works quite well for displaying general make, model, electrical data, etc...

cosmickingpin
2007-02-13, 09:41 PM
E-spec manages the data through assembly codes. With e-spec software you are able to edit and create new assembly codes to corospond to specific products and then have that linked to specific spec section- without it you cannot. From what I see, good product, does what they say it does. The assembly codes can then be linked to a specific manufacturer in E-Spec. To use it you pretty much have to go master-spec in order to get the links all set up.

To get it to show, just rename the family to the specific product.

Thanks,
Axel

smcgrady
2007-02-14, 07:13 PM
Ouch! I guess the web site is one of those things that you know takes a huge investment of time and resources to redo and maybe seems to be functional enough, but comments and suggestions are always appreciated and taken into consideration.

e-SPECS is what you and your boss are talking about. The Revit assemblies (or each element as your boss referred to) are linked as e-SPECS 'bindings' to your master guide spec sections, manufacturers, submittals, products, etc. based on your preferences. As little or as much automation as you prefer with of course the benefits including coordinated drawings and specs, automation reducing manual errors and mundane tasks and centralized firm data management.

Of course, final completion of the spec with product research and project specific changes can always occur directly in the e-SPECS spec editor. Sign up for a webcast and ask your questions live.

marcoavallone
2007-02-14, 07:42 PM
Hey good topic. Can someone enlighten me on how e-spec ties into master spec., as in "Can I somehow overwrite the txt file that Revit provides to work directly with what Masterspec puts out?" If that makes any Sense?

Either way all my Keynotes are already linked to the default RevitKeynotes_Imperial File.

How does master spec. work with e-specs and stuff?
Thanks...

Mencken
2007-02-14, 07:51 PM
I'd strongly recommend you contact eSpecs http://www.e-specs.com/ as their product seems to be changing quickly.

marcoavallone
2007-02-14, 08:36 PM
Thats funny.. I just did... Thanks....I waiting for a call back...

cosmickingpin
2007-02-14, 09:14 PM
FYI- In case you didn't glean it from his reply, Seamus is with E-Spec.

smcgrady
2007-02-14, 09:27 PM
Interesting to see the note "To use it you pretty much have to go master-spec in order to get the links all set up."

We strongly recommend using the Industry Standard AIA MASTERSPEC documents, but if you are maintaining your own office masters, we've developed an application specifically for integrating those documents and tools to facilitate that integration.

As far as the Revit keynotes file, we have development underway to generate the project specific keynotes from your e-SPECS spec manual to use detailing your model - aka the 'round-trip'.

Contact me directly at smcgrady@e-SPECS.com to learn more about an implementation specific to your firm.
Seamus McGrady

smcgrady
2007-02-14, 09:30 PM
That's right - I just added it to my profile. I'm not a frequest 'poster' - a rookie!

cdsuggs
2009-02-04, 11:51 PM
DotSoft has a really slick Excel plug-in that will export to DXF with each save of the XLS. The DXF is linked into Revit.

Great idea, I just wish they had a plug-in for Word.

nancy.mcclure
2009-02-05, 12:19 AM
We know of significant SF firms who are currently working with eSpecs, using a standard MasterSpec database or customized specifications. As a VAR, my company also represents eSpecs, which means I've personally tested it out and as I've personally compiled specifications for construction projects as a design Project Manager I can fully appreciate the power of it.

eSpecs culls the assembly codes out of the design model, and 'maps' (binds is their terminology) to the various specification sections that apply. For example, including metal windows in a project means a specification section on Openings, Weatherproofing, Finished Metals, etc. Many of these sections overlap with other assemblies called for in the design, so changing from metal windows to wood windows isn't a simple 1:1 section substitution. The bindings track what is needed across all the assembly codes, and allows the model designer to give and receive feedback from the spec writer. It doesn't WRITE the specs for you (that takes years of experience and specialized knowledge, thank you very much!) but it does reduce the manual tracking and compiling, and makes the whole tedious process much more manageable.

I've long used MasterSpec for architectural project specifications (since 1996!), and find them to be very easy to work with and adaptable to the various ways each project needs to be addressed. The new versions even provide lots of LEED-applicable info, and links to explainations of all the ANSI/ASTM references. Super valuable as an information resource.

Again, I've given my disclaimer that we represent the product, but I'd certainly not have responded if I didn't value it from a designer's standpoint.

NOW - back to the original question [grin]

Standard and custom parameters allow the user to specify Manuf., Model, finish code etc., but that is only scratching the surface of what project specifications are. I'd see this embedded data as "strongly suggested" to the contractor, with the full project manual specs setting the performance criteria which includes so much info that can't be defined simply by calling out a model#.