PDA

View Full Version : Writing a white paper on worksets

Wes Macaulay
2003-06-26, 01:43 PM
This seems to be an issue many Revit users talk about, and as requested by one of my clients, I am going to write a document that explains worksets and some best practices on how to use them. The Revit documentation is good, and the training materials that the Revit crew have created on the subject are excellent, but I thought a "from the trenches" approach might also be good.

Z, if you're interested, I would like to get your input on it... and anyone else here on the forum for that matter. I'll be posting a draft in a few days. I was going to write something up for Autodesk University, but didn't have my act together for the deadline.

Vincent Valentijn
2003-07-31, 09:36 AM
I presume your paper is somewhat delayed? I would be very interested to read it..

aaronrumple
2003-07-31, 01:56 PM
I think that there are worksets for multiuser enviornments and worksets for single user setups. I always use workset even on small projects to assist final output.... The plan/foundation plan exaample is a must to include.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-07-31, 02:43 PM
I think that there are worksets for multiuser enviornments and worksets for single user setups. I always use workset even on small projects to assist final output.... The plan/foundation plan exaample is a must to include.

Aaron,

how are you using worksets for foundation plans? just curious.

Vincent Valentijn
2003-07-31, 03:07 PM
me curious too!!
I didn't get down to looking at the worksets feature yet.. busybusy.. but as I read more comments about it it seems a solutions to some problems I've ran into. How good do worksets work on 'small' scale? Is it useful to have my reviteers do a single unit each with worksets? or can I make some sort of overall project, create worksets and have them work on a set each?? :roll:
Don't bother answering my contemplations, I'll get into finding out all about it in a few weeks [after deadline is met]..

thanx for the hints.

aaronrumple
2003-07-31, 03:56 PM
If you have brick ledges and stepped footing, there is no way to extract just a foundation plan showing concrete only without the wall above also shown sitting on the brick ledge. Revit's levels just do a true cut which is good.

This makes it difficult to show beam pockets and other important details.

The solution to this is to have two worksets. You'll seee I have a structural and architectural workset. In the foundation plan view, the architectural can be toggled off to show just the structuyral footings below.

There is some other funny stuff going on in the file as I was trying to demonstrate several things.

I have a sample file if anyone is interested....

Phil Palmer
2003-07-31, 04:50 PM
Aoron,

Its so strange that Revit hasn't given sub-catagories for these type of walls.
A wall type is known as either - retaining/foundation/external/internal
This SHOULD of been an option in the visibility settings

One of my wishes has always been that we need to be able to add sub-catagories to 'system' families.

Worksets are the only way to go at the moment.

gregcashen
2003-07-31, 07:37 PM
I have a sample file if anyone is interested....

I am interested...please post...pretty please.

aaronrumple
2003-07-31, 08:04 PM
I tried to post but "over 5 mb limit." The file is 1.4mb....

PeterJ
2003-08-01, 07:24 AM
I don't know where Missouri is in terms of time zone and its relationship to Zoog HQ in leafy Philadelphia but in case you get up before Chris, you probably need to remove some older uploads Aaron so that you have an ammount of free space in your upload allocation.

P

Wes Macaulay
2003-08-18, 05:16 PM
On the foundations issue many people use the linework tool or add locked detail lines to represent some of the items that won't show up in a given view.