PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected or Add'l Benefits from BIM

richard.binning
2004-07-07, 03:50 PM
For those of you working with BIM models/software, can you identify particular benefits that address construction/project management needs?

I am looking for benefits you are realizing from working with Intelligent/3D/BIM models beyond the usual "AE - Design" type of benefits. Examples might include:

Area Breakdowns for Code Compliance
Quantity Lists/ Bill of Materials Generation Coordinated trade scheduling Value engineering/What If Scenarios?
Ability to query/cost?
Shop Drawing Coordination/Preparation?
Thanks in Advance,

Richard Binning

The Haskell Company

PeterJ
2004-07-07, 04:03 PM
Change management is a crucial issue for me and one which the tool at hand improves no end.

Accurate scheduling of just about all aspects of the project, including topography for calculation of waste removal.

Reduced reliance on specification tools as it is so easy to ensure specification information is incorporated into the model.

richard.binning
2004-07-07, 04:06 PM
Can you expound alittle more on how it is being used to reduce reliance on specification tools?

Thanks,

RLB

dg
2004-07-07, 09:41 PM
I have found that when I have produced drawings and [easily] pulled off a material schedule, and then passed the schedule to clients to give to their builders for quotes, then the builder is very pleased in not having to spend as much time in preparing their quotations for the work.

Those appreciative builders are then recommending me to their other clients as they know that they will get a fully detailed drawing and a comprehensive material schedule to quote off and work to.

It's a bit of a catch 22 though - I got into Revit so that I could get drawings done quicker and have more free time, but I am now getting more work and enquiries.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

PeterJ
2004-07-08, 09:05 AM
Can you expound alittle more on how it is being used to reduce reliance on specification tools?
My bread and butter work is small to medium residential stuff, though we have larger projects. If I send a contractor a 200 page specification, plus a Schedule of Works or Spec & Bill and Contract Preliminaries the document he gets can be in excess of 300 pages. On small jobs that can scare a contractor offf, but with careful use of keynotes and the comments sections in various families I can get most of that information straight onto the drawing without necessarily increasinging the number of drawings. I can draw the information direct from my Specification Writer or whatever other people use so I know it is up to date but it saves me a lot of duplication of paperwork and I believe it actually serves to keep the costs down to a slightly more manageable level on some jobs.

richard.binning
2004-07-08, 12:20 PM
Some excellent replies, thanks for the info...
Anyone using REVIT on commercial projects? Institutional, Educational, etc.?

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller....

JamesVan
2004-07-08, 01:21 PM

Abe Froman?....The Sausage King of Chicago?

We're working on a 'modest' commercial project:
http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/business/index.ssf?/newsflash/get_story.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?f0048_BC_WSJ--PropertyReport&&news&newsflash-financial

Although this is one of our first projects in Revit, I'd be happy to speak with you about our goals and expectations of the BIM database.

christie.landry
2004-07-08, 02:05 PM

Just a few...

Antunovich Associates, a Chicago-based company, is a leader in architecture, planning, and interior design. Their design of the University Center of Chicago drew on the company’s varied expertise to create a vibrant and unique community.

CASCO has found that the Autodesk® Revit® building information modeler and the Autodesk® Buzzsaw™ online project management service help streamline the design and management process.

DMJM Design, an AECOM company, is a leading full-service architectural and engineering design firm with more than 3,000 professionals. The company’s Washington, DC–based division is supporting design teams that are standardizing the use of Autodesk® Revit® building information modeler.

-cll

Tom Dorner
2004-07-08, 03:49 PM
We are a small 9 person Architectural firm and have 2 people including myself on Revit, the rest using AutoCAD. Our main client is a large commercial property management firm that we do interior tenant Improvement drawings and BOMA area calculations for. We have had a 25 year relationship with this client and recently gave their upper management a 2 hour demonstration of Revit.

Their goal for years has been to somehow automate their estimating process using our "drawings". What I was able to show them with Revit using a current project is how we could export the quantities out of Revit via ODBC and link them to their Timberline estimating system. Their jaws almost hit the table with what I was showing them. We have agreed to start taking our first baby steps toward a complete integration of our Revit project files and their estimating system. Lots of issues to overcome such as responsibilty of data accuracy, fees and time allocation. These issues not withstanding, we are moving forward. The VP of Construction made the comment that Revit is the first new thing he has seen in 20 years in the AEC field and stayed for the full demo even though he had another appointment to attend.

In addition, we have never done the shell building work for this client. They always use another firm that is out of town 600 miles away even though we are right across the lobby from them in the same building. During the Revit demo, they were impressed by the fact that they could clearly see what the building was going to look like and how it could be used as a sales and communication tool. I was asked how long it would take to do the "drawings" for a sister building to the existing one I modeled in Revit on the empty lot next door. They told me to make it 20 feet deeper and expand the bay spacing by 2 feet. I did this in real time in their board room in about 5 mouse clicks. The silence was stunning. They are now looking to use us for the next shell building they construct.

We have also found other benifits to using Revit. Our client's tenants simply are able to understand what is is that they are getting. We have been producing plans color filled by department and have seen the amount of revisions to the design drop by about half as the information we present is now clear and understandable. We have also been producing 3D shaded views of critical areas for use in space planning meetings, again this is what people understand.

Revit has transformed our firm and my professional career.

2D CAD is dead, long live Revit !

Tom

Wes Macaulay
2004-07-08, 04:01 PM
People will only be stunned by a Revit demo IF they understand how long the work takes in another piece of software.

My biggest fear is that Revit raises the bar so high that clients will ask for fee reductions because architects are using Revit. I HAVE ALREADY HEARD THIS COMMENT FROM A DEVELOPER! Given that architects in our province are already getting the **** beat out of them on fees, I think we should not so much talk about the speed with which we can get designs documented but instead the quality and accuracy of documentation that can now be produced. Creating drawings is a dumb business; if we can save some time there we can look more thoroughly into fire safety issues, product selection, better specs, what have you.

And let's not forget: Revit benefits those most who already know how buildings go together. While a CAD monkey can use Revit, BIMming is best done by those with the training, whose wages are higher. Let the developers and all those who would cut design fees understand this!

Maybe some firms will put the money in their own pockets; my experience is that projects deserve more time than they get because so much time is blown creating the drawing set -- with Revit they could have the time needed to better document the project in other ways besides the drawing set.

So Tom, put Revit into Skunkworks, will ya? You're blowing our secret!! ;-)

Tom Dorner
2004-07-08, 04:10 PM
Wes,

Sorry for letting our secret out !

The fee issue is a serious one. Since I could make the "sister" building in my previous post in about 10 minutes do I only charge them $19.95?

Tom

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-08, 05:00 PM
Tom thanks for that testimonial, it's nice to hear despite any protestations...glad you are finding using Revit invigorating!

We've discussed the issue of deliverables at length and it will continue. Defining what those deliverables are or should be will contribute heavily to success using Revit.