PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Wall Reveals

pashley
2004-07-07, 04:20 PM
Can wall reveals and sweeps be wrapped?

I have an exterior EIFS wall with several reveals. If I just end the wall without turning a corner, the EIFS material itself wraps at the endcaps but the reveal does not. [Of course if I turn the wall arond a corner, the reveal sweeps.]

Is this is a condition that was neglected by Revit?

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-07, 05:25 PM
You can change the behavor of sweep returns by using the "change sweep return" button in the options bar when a sweep or reveal is selected.

pashley
2004-07-07, 07:15 PM
I tried that but it doesn't do what I want. The options were allready checked to return 90 degrees. I think the problem is that this is a reveal, not a sweep, that is part of the wall design and insets into the 4" wall only a half inch.

In fact. once I tried to alter the reveal using these tols, the reveal appears to have become a sweep - it now appears as a sweep in all views on just the section of wall I altered.

tamas
2004-07-07, 07:18 PM
When you specify your reveal to turn, you may need to enter a negative angle (say -90 degrees). In pre-7.0 reveals turn the opposite direction than cornices (wall sweeps).

Once turned, you can drag the reveal 's end to the desired length.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-07-07, 07:22 PM
When you specify your reveal to turn, you may need to enter a negative angle (say -90 degrees). In pre-7.0 reveals turn the opposite direction than cornices (wall sweeps).

Tamas,
What else has changed in R7?:wink:

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-07, 07:23 PM
I tried that but it doesn't do what I want. The options were allready checked to return 90 degrees. I think the problem is that this is a reveal, not a sweep, that is part of the wall design and insets into the 4" wall only a half inch.

In fact. once I tried to alter the reveal using these tols, the reveal appears to have become a sweep - it now appears as a sweep in all views on just the section of wall I altered.
Somtimes the paths angles get reversed. Try setting it to minus 90 degrees (-90) and then drag the blue dot back a bit so it cuts the corner wall.

If that fails, perhaps you could copy the wall in question into a new project, purge it, then post it, we could take a closer look at what is going on.

tamas
2004-07-07, 07:26 PM
Tamas,
What else has changed in R7?;)I could tell you, but...

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-07, 07:28 PM

lol, I thought I was crazy, glad to see it wasn't just me ;)

btw, pashley, here is an example of what I mean.

pashley
2004-07-07, 07:37 PM
OK, the -90 idea worked. However, the altered reveals now appear as visible sweeps - the part of the sweep profie that sits outside of the wall is visible.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-07, 08:06 PM
OK, the -90 idea worked. However, the altered reveals now appear as visible sweeps - the part of the sweep profie that sits outside of the wall is visible.
hmmm.... that shouldn't be happening... care to post the wall so we can diagnose?

pashley
2004-07-07, 08:34 PM
This is strange. I saved and closed the project. When I re-opened it the reveals were still displaying. Then I closed many of the views. I was doing some work in a plan view then re-opened an elevation and the reveals are returning and displaying normally now. Odd - maybe it has something to do with the graphics card?

tamas
2004-07-07, 09:28 PM
No, it is an elusive bug that I could not spend enough time to fix yet. Once the reveal is forced to regenerate (wiggle its end, or move it a bit) it should regain its composure.

So what you did probably effected the reveal and it regenerated.

pashley
2004-07-07, 09:46 PM
I closed the project and re-opened it and now all seems to be OK. Thanks for the help.

kimheaver
2004-07-07, 11:47 PM
I could tell you, but...

I think a black van with darkened windows has just parked outside your house.

Kim

Scott D Davis
2004-07-08, 12:19 AM
In pre-7.0 reveals turn the opposite direction than cornices (wall sweeps).
what a tease! I love it when the developers forget who they are talking to and spill little tidbits about future releases!

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-08, 02:21 AM
No, it is an elusive bug that I could not spend enough time to fix yet. Once the reveal is forced to regenerate (wiggle its end, or move it a bit) it should regain its composure.

So what you did probably effected the reveal and it regenerated. Thanks for the heads up about that tamas.... btw...While you are hunting that one down...;), I've occasionally run into another minor bug with reveals:

.....If a wall reveal is placed (using the wall reveal tool) on a vertical compound wall that has the finish layer split with two separate materials defined (no integral wall sweeps or reveals), sometimes the surface pattern of the material that reveal is placed into will fail to appear. (ie placing a reveal in the efis layer that is above a stone layer will cause the sand "hatch" to disappear) Adding or removing walls to the reveal “chain” seems to make it regenerate and causes the surface pattern to show again.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-08, 02:23 AM
ps If I haven't mentioned it before, I must say that sweeps and reveals have come a very long way, keep up the good work 8)