PDA

View Full Version : floor display

johnf.77896
2007-02-15, 10:01 PM
I have an outdoor deck floor system that has 3/4" deck boards and 2"x 12" treated joists. Here is my question/ problem: In 3d views the floor shows up solid so in order to get the floor itself to not be visable only the joists and deck boards I changed the floor joists to 95% transparency. Which works great in all 3d views except wheb looking up from below, then the deck boards are not visable. I am I not supposed to model the decks as floors or does someone else have a better way to do it?

Thanks

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.
www.gmkarch.com

Henry D
2007-02-15, 11:00 PM
If I understand correctly you have a floor assembly of which decking is one component...is that right?

How about making two floors? One for the decking and another one for the rest of the floor assembly...then control the visibility through filters.

johnf.77896
2007-02-16, 03:45 AM
Henry, that is correct one floor assembly. I could make 2 floor assemblies but that is what I am trying to avoid not to mention is not very Revit like. Just seems a little bizarre that a component that isn't even transparent doesn't show up.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.
www.gmkarch.com

sbrown
2007-02-16, 03:53 AM
You actually should model the deck boards as the floor, the structure as the structure. Use a beam system or individual beams and then just a 3/4" floor with the deck material. Basically in schematics you usually model the floor as one floor with a struct. thickness, then in construction docs you swap out the schematic floor with real structure and just the floor slab or in your case decking.

johnf.77896
2007-02-16, 04:25 AM
Scott, I guess I was just trying to make everything stay the same. It makes sense to just use a deck floor and joist structure for cd's. I think one way to do that would be to make an exterior floor system and filter it out for cd's. Henry & Scott thanks for your replies.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.
www.gmkarch.com