PDA

View Full Version : Joining roofs - again

mmulvey
2004-07-07, 07:50 PM
I still can't get Revit (6.0) to join roofs correctly. I'm trying to add a new roof over an extended front entrance to a house See 3Dimage - new roof is gray. This will not join/blend to the existing. See section. I have tried every permutation of the "Join Roof" command without success.

Any suggestions??

davidwlight
2004-07-07, 07:54 PM
Only a suggestion, but have you tried pulling the porch roof back from the roof you want to join, then tried roof join? I.e the porch roof extrusion lenght is a lot smaller.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-07, 08:21 PM
Thats the ticket! Make your porch roof shorter, so it wont intersect the red roof, then use the Join Roof tool.

mmulvey
2004-07-07, 09:15 PM
Thanks Guys - I tried your suggestion - looked good ...

But....

See the section. "old" roof still extends past new one.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-07, 09:19 PM
Joining just joins the geometry, if you want to cut out the old roof, like a dormer, then you need to use the Opeing tool ont he Modeling Tab of the Design Bar. You will get three options (in 6.1) Yuo could slect the one that says "pick a roof to be cut by a dormer opening". I think this will get you what you are after.

mmulvey
2004-07-07, 09:49 PM
Thanks - getting a <<bit>> better...

PeterJ
2004-07-08, 08:28 AM
Now unless there is a problem with the geometry you should be able to do a join geometry and have the two roofs clean up in that section

mmulvey
2004-07-08, 03:20 PM
One small related problem is that the bottom of the new roof eave and the existing do not align by about 1" - not sure if it's possible to correct this.

See also what happens when I add gutters...

mmulvey
2004-07-08, 03:22 PM
If I try "Join geometry" I get the following error:

"There is a circular chain of references among the highlighted elements"

Scott D Davis
2004-07-08, 11:19 PM
One small related problem is that the bottom of the new roof eave and the existing do not align by about 1" - not sure if it's possible to correct this.

See also what happens when I add gutters...
Yes, go to an elevation view that looks straight on to the end of the gable, and use the aligh tool, or move tool, or go to the properties of the roof, and change the offset by 1". Zoom in on the 'offset' and use the measure tool to make sure its exactly a 1" difference.

The more I look at this roof, I'm thinking it could have all been done in one piece, not two with the join/opening/etc. and then the gutters would work better. As it is now, you can highlight the gutters, grab the blue dot, and pull them back, and even change the miter condition so that the y will fit together.

mmulvey
2004-07-09, 03:27 PM
I wish the roof could be done in one entity but the problem I get whenever I try are the areas where parts overlap like the LH side of the door canopy and other areas where eaves should tuck under each other.

Latter could be resolved with an "extend to adjacent wall" roof option. Not sure about how to do first - one idea would be to change the way roofs are generated - have the option to specify which lines in the roof sketch represent ridge, valley, eaves.