PDA

View Full Version : 2D drawings: Linked CAD, Model lines or Drafting lines??

boyd.112779
2007-02-18, 05:31 PM
I would like to hear opinions on handling a large amoutn of 2D information in Revit via either...linked CAD, model lines (please read the entire post) or drafting lines:

I do a lot of work for a firm specialized in printing production. The drawings typically consist of a rather large building (100,000+ sq.ft.) with anywhere from 10 -50 "2D" drawings of 'printing presses'. These are large presses typically with some highly detailed line work. More often than not I end up trying to reduce the amount of lines regardless of how I present them in the drawing. Criteria I need to maintain...

The ability to show the 2D press drawings in multiple views especially (at least) one 2D sheet and in the 3D model (even though it is still a 2D line drawing). In 3D I block out massing above the 2D line drawing to get a spacial understanding of the presses in 3D.

So these are the options I know of. Would like to hear the pros and cons of each:

1.Link the 2D CAD drawing to ALL views and turn it off or on for each drawing via view proporties.

2. Draw each press in Revit with DRAFTING lines and cut and paste into other views where needed....HOWEVER, from what I can tell, I would still be UNABLE to get the "drafted" press into the 3D view.

-Side question: - Why does it take so long to delete drafting lines? Is it because of "duplicate with detailing"?

3. Draw the presses in with model lines, which shows up in all views. But then how do I NOT show presses in views where I do not want presses to show?

Which of these is the easies to work with, i.e. least taxing on the model?

The last piece of this I think, is GROUPING. What are the pros and cons to grouping any of the previous 3 options? How might grouping help or hinder my objective?

Sorry for the long post...thanks for your responses in advance.

Attached is a small snapshot of piece of one press showing line complexity.

Boyd j.

jeffh
2007-02-18, 09:33 PM
You could make them into a family and have the best of both worlds. In the family make the plan view detail lines and for a 3d view have the massing. That is probably the easiest to manage visibility wise.

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-19, 06:40 PM
I agree. anytime you can combine some elements into a family first before you insert it into your project is much easier to manage. Then you also benefit from updating 1 family and it propagates thru the entire project.

Once you have this skill it also makes other revit families easier to create (ie window familly with detail components for jambs, heads, etc). This is a very powerful feature.

Justin