PDA

View Full Version : Can balusters cut rails?

patricks
2007-02-19, 11:52 PM
Is there not a way to make a baluster cut horizontal rails in a railing type? I'm doing a heavy steel railing consisting of 4x4 steel tubes every 8 feet, and then 2 steel channels at mid-height and at the top of the railing. I need the balusters to cut the rail pieces. I also need the top of the baluster to be be flush with the top of the top channel. At this point I'm just using like a 1/4" top offset to make it appear to do what I want.

Another question is plan visibility. Why do my balusters not show up in plan? They are turned on under Railings in Visibilty/Graphics.

christo4robin
2007-02-20, 04:21 PM
Patrick,

I screwed around with this for the last 10 minutes with no luck. One possible work around - use a railing object that contains only the 4x4 posts and place it as necessary. Create another railing type that is just the two channels. Create a bunch of railings that you manually place the endpoints coincident with the face of the balusters. It's a pain, and, it should give you the look you want.

patricks
2007-02-20, 05:05 PM
Oh well, the slight offset I was using works okay. It's just a railing by the owner anyway and I just wanted to have it show in the drawing.

But what about making balusters show in plan, is that not possible? In plan I can only see a 1.5" wide strip which is the top of my channels. The 4x4" posts are not there.