PDA

View Full Version : Revit Building in 3d

sherflor
2007-02-20, 03:36 AM
I am having a hard time in deciding if Revit Building is what I need to do renderings of 3d architectural designs.

I dont know anything of Revit only AutoCad 2007. Can I get some feed back?

jwilhelm
2007-02-20, 06:18 AM
well, Revit is a whole lot easyer than autocad for puting buildings together
and it has fairly good rendering software built in (accurender) or you can export the models to Viz if u prefer. I wouldnt use anything els

rjcrowther
2007-02-20, 06:34 AM
There are differing viewpoints on this. My personal one is:Revit's rendering engine produces fairly quick renderings and so you can do a lot of rough renderings quickly and this helps you make a good scene. When it comes time to do the final rendering the quality of materials and lighting are not that great when compared to a dedicated rendering tool. So, the result is a fairly well composed scene that lacks in quality when compared to dedicated rendering packages.

As a means to conceptually show off your design, Revit is quite ok. If you want to produce renderings of a very high standard you need something else, Revit does not do that. You need to know the Revit rendering engine (AccuRender) is quite old now and is a reduced version at that. It does not appear that an upgrade is coming in the near future so render quality is not going to improve.

Internal renderings are not that great - althought their are some in these forums that manage to make them turn out ok.....I would think these are the more talented people.

In essence, it gets down to the type of renderings you want to do.

Rob

dpasa
2007-02-20, 09:09 AM
Revit is great for you but only if you use some other renderer... So, you have to add Viz to your budget and your time schedule... Of course, learning to render in Viz is not so difficult especially for architectural renderings.
Accurender was a great app 10 years ago, I was using it every day, but now it is far behind any other renderer, even the classic, old, scanline renderer.

whittendesigns
2007-02-21, 02:03 AM
If you are looking for high quality renderings, just beware that rounded surfaces in Revit are a little faceted. There is a workaround or two, it's not bad. But it is noticeable.

narlee
2007-02-21, 02:25 AM
Revit handles 3D much easier/much faster. Above note on rounded solids is correct, tho, plus no lofts/no helixes in Revit. Nonetheless, I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER go back to AutoCAD.

Accurender I don't like. I personally think Accurender is slow and the last time I used it, it was still crashing Revit. I personally think VIZ is too tough to learn, but I never took a class. I've always learned software on my own, without trouble, except for VIZ.

Good luck,
Geof Narlee.