PDA

View Full Version : wall layer attachment

ford347
2007-02-20, 04:42 PM
What are people doing in this situation (see attached images)? I would like the stucco layer to attach to the joined roof so that it doesn't show in my sections and it gives an accurate material take-off. I don't think it can be done without drawing walls to accommodate the roof line, which seems pretty cumbersome for such a remedial issue. Seems like there should be a way to attach a layer. It also seems like in the past when I've used the attach tool for walls that if only a part of the wall intersected a roof or floor, that portion or layer of the wall did attach and the rest of the wall stayed at it's defined constraints, but I've tried that with the walls in the image.....the center wall actually brought the entire base up to the top of the lower roof level when I chose to attach base, the left wall in the image stated that it could not attach the base.. so I don't really know what the limitations are. Anybody got a suggestion. Thanks!

Josh

dhurtubise
2007-02-20, 05:42 PM
You can't "stretch" a layer when the wall is attach to a roof. So detach and use Edit Profile to make the shape of your roof.

Scott D Davis
2007-02-20, 06:09 PM
If the roof that intersects the wall only intersects by the thickness of the layer you want to "extend", you can attach the wall to the roof and only the layers that actually touch the roof will attach.

(edit: And I checked the material take-offs, and they are reporting correctly as well)

ford347
2007-02-20, 06:36 PM
Thanks. I knew that you couldn't stretch a layer and I was left with the edit profile option, which involves drawing multiple walls just to get around this situation. That was kind of my point, that's quite a bit of work to smiply take the stucco out of the attic. If you edit profile, the whole wall takes that new shape, not just the layer. I was just hoping maybe I was missing something.

thanks again.

Josh

ford347
2007-02-20, 06:56 PM
Scott, I was writing my reply before I saw yours....we crossed up.

Sounds like I need to detach the wall that is attached at top on the left side and see if I can get the base layers to attach to the roof at the side of that wall.......I'll give it a shot. I knew I had done this in the past with the top attachement, but never had a need to do it at the base. I'll let you know.

Thanks!
Josh

Scott D Davis
2007-02-20, 06:58 PM
I've done it as a base attachment as well, where the stucco on the inside of a parapet was attached down to the surface of the roof, and then didn't penetrate the interior of the building.

ford347
2007-02-20, 07:26 PM
It works, but I had to lock the stucco layer at the bottom of my wall assembly, otherwise it had an error that it couldnt' extend layers vertically of compound wall. So now I've lost the ability to extend the layer down past my floor system. The other problem is as shown in the image, one wall completly attached it's base to the roof, even thought he core layer missed the roof? So I don't konw what that's all about. The other one gave the error message when trying to attach it's base to the roof as shown in the image. I'm not sure it works in all scenerios based off of these results. Check it out and see if you can see the problem. Thanks for help.

Josh

ford347
2007-02-20, 09:02 PM
I just tried it out in a couple of other what I consider to be simple scenerio's and Revit stated that it could not join the selected elements. This wall was just and exterior with a lower roof meeting it at about 3'-0" from it's base, no rakes or anything, similar to your parapet condition you described in your previous post Scott.
Josh

Scott D Davis
2007-02-20, 09:31 PM
In the case where I need some walls of a type with extended layers and other walls of the same type without extended layers to attach, I just duplicate the type and rename accordingly, then make the adjustment in Properties. Yes, you have to manage anoother type, but it works.