PDA

View Full Version : Area 'Analysis'

Vincent Valentijn
2004-07-08, 09:29 AM
I've been using the area calculations from Room tags/seperations/schedules... Now I thought I'd try to use Area Analysis to get 2 different options in area calculations. But I think the term Area Analysis is a misleading term isn't it? It seems pretty useless for my goal... it's just a 'lets put some nice colors in the plans'-tool?

Can anyone please confirm if I'm getting things right:
- you can set area analysis to calculate at a specific height, however the calculated height does not respond -at all- to a roof which should substract the area below let's say 1500mm
- you can not set such calculation-hight per area-scheme, it's a general setting.

Maybe it's something for the wishlist - to get analysis capabilities?
or at least rename Area Analysis to Area Color Schemes, which seems to be the true nature of this function...

aggockel50321
2004-07-08, 12:14 PM
- you can set area analysis to calculate at a specific height, however the calculated height does not respond -at all- to a roof which should substract the area below let's say 1500mm

I'd agree. Automatic placement of area boundries seems to only respond to walls. One workaround would be to set your area plan cut plane at the critical (1500mm) height. Then manually move or sketch the area boundries to visually align with the roof cut. I don't think you can snap to the cut line. If you need more accuracy, you'd have to go to a section, draw a horizontal ref plane at 1500mm and then verticals at the roof / ref plane intersections, and then go back to the area plan & align the boudries to these.

- you can not set such calculation-hight per area-scheme, it's a general setting.

Seems to be the case, although I don't know why.

The ability to use roofs along with walls, & the ability to set the area cut plane per scheme would make good wishlist items imho.

sbrown
2004-07-08, 12:58 PM
The area analysis tool is extremely useful. It lets you place area boundaries anywhere you want, lets say you have a building with 10 tenant spaces, with roomtags you get net areas for each room, with area analysis you can get the true boma calc's. You also can get the gross area of your building. Are you making new area plans(view > new > area plan?)

Vincent Valentijn
2004-07-08, 01:30 PM
Manually placing area boundaries through setting the cutplane at 1500 is what I've been doing... and indeed, lines do not snap to the cutlines so I had used Refplanes that I drew myself too ;) we think alike Andrew ;) hehe

Scott, I can see what you're using Area Analysis for... we have been using a different system though. Since different draftsmen draw the units we do it like this:
- one drawing with the 'core' which holds lifts, stairs, public spaces.. it is turned 'true north'
- to this drawing the units are linked, coordinates are published back to the units, this makes project vs. true north available.
- in schedules we simply have data coming from either units or public space, we have no need for further division. we only do areas in individual units if clients require it.
- gross area results come from adding odbc data [which we extract from all projects]

Could you tell me a little more about the way you guys work, it might fit nicely if we combine it with workingsets... Though...we haven't been using workingsets since we have draftsmen in different locations and no way to exchange large files efficiently enough to enable workset-methods. -anyway- it might lead to new ideas..

sbrown
2004-07-08, 04:54 PM
Area Analysis -
You use it for creating schedules of areas for many diff purposes. On my current project for example I'm using it for and exiting study, place area boundaries around the areas in question, place area tag, then I've added some schedule keys to for diff. types of areas, ie. assembly, waiting, business, etc, with there corresponding occupant per sf number out of the table in the code book, then I set up a schedule with a calculated value that takes the area of the space and what type of space ie, assembly and then it gives me the number of occupants. As my walls move, my occupant load automatically changes. Note depending on needs this could be done with room tags too(if net area is needed) the room tags however have no flexibility for you to control where you want the area boundary. We also use it for programing, you can input all your rooms and the program area, then as you build the building place the area boundaries and area tags and create a schedule that shows your true area vs program area and calculates the diff. for you.

Allen Lacy
2004-07-23, 02:07 PM
Area Analysis -
You use it for creating schedules of areas for many diff purposes. On my current project for example I'm using it for and exiting study, place area boundaries around the areas in question, place area tag, then I've added some schedule keys to for diff. types of areas, ie. assembly, waiting, business, etc, with there corresponding occupant per sf number out of the table in the code book, then I set up a schedule with a calculated value that takes the area of the space and what type of space ie, assembly and then it gives me the number of occupants. As my walls move, my occupant load automatically changes. Scott,
Would it be possible to take the number of occupants in the area ananlysis you've created and get that to a room tag (via a shared parameter?)?

I'm using your method and I like to have occupant loads on smaller projects with the room tags. I have created a room tag with a occupant that I "manually" put in the schedule, but if it could be generated from area analysis, that would be great.

sbrown
2004-07-23, 05:03 PM
Not that I can figure out, Currently you can't extract schedule data from a calculated value. I may be wrong, I too would love this ability. I've been asking for the ability to "query" other schedules, ie take the gross from schedule 'a' and subtract it from the net of schedule 'b', that kind of thing. To date I've only found work arounds usiing schedule keys and shared parameters, its too tricky to type how to do it.

yzhou
2005-01-11, 05:12 PM
Good question and answers!!!

jcoe
2005-01-14, 12:18 AM
Scott,
I like the schedule examples that you have posted. Using the area analysis tool for code studies and egress studies was something that I did not think was capable with schedules. Using your example as inspiration, I formated an area schedule that includes calculated values for occupant loads of classrooms (Area/20) for our current project, however I ran into a snag. The problem I encountered is that this value appears to be global throughout the schedule, including areas as small as closets and other non-instructional spaces. So my question is as follows:

1. Is there a way to have this calculated value only show up in rooms that are truly classroom? I tried using schedule keys, but the calculated value does not highlight as an option. I also tried various filters, but I was unable to accomplish the results I was looking for. Is this even possible under the current version?

Thank You in advance.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-14, 12:30 AM
Is there a way to have this calculated value only show up in rooms that are truly classroom? I tried using schedule keys, but the calculated value does not highlight as an option.If it is acceptable to only schedule classrooms you could add a parameter to rooms such as "Classroom" and use a Yes/No datatype. Then filter a schedule to remove "no" entries.

or...perhaps sort by rooms, grouping by Classroom so the yes and no entries are clustered together.

jcoe
2005-01-14, 03:54 PM
Steve,
Your suggested is a good one, and something I will explore and experiment with on other projects. However, on school projects, the NYS SED requires that all rooms and their square footages show up on some type of area schedule. In addition, they require that all rooms designated as instruction/assembly spaces within the building have a calculated occupant load associated to them base on their own calculations (who knows where they come up with this stuff). My goal was to associate only the rooms SED requires to have calculated occupant loads with a corresponding calculated value (ie. classroom, auditorium, gymnasium, cafeteria, library, stage).

Thank you very much for your suggestion. It is well appreciated.

Steve_Stafford
2005-01-14, 04:11 PM
...the NYS SED...Something I don't miss about NY...;-)

If you set up an area plan that tags classrooms and one that does the others...you can overlay the data on a sheet...both are visible there....fwiw

jcoe
2005-01-14, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the additional input Steve. It does not appear that the current schedule tool allows for this degree of flexibility. Right now I need to get this project off the ground. Play time is over for now.
I would like to see additional flexibility within the scheduling tool in the near future, especially related to calculated values and the ability to choose which category to apply them to versus a global setting.