PDA

View Full Version : linked files

mhudson
2004-07-08, 01:24 PM
We are currently working on our first complete Revit project in the office. Due to our training schedule, the Interiors Dept. has not been able to do their work in Revit. We have set up the project so that casework elevations, casework details, and typical interior details are completed in AutoCAD and then linked into Revit. Thus, we have a multitude of linked .dwgs.
My issue is that when the project file is first opened in the morning, we get the following message:

'The following Links could not be updated because necessary worksets are not editable by you. Please make the worksets editable, then re-open the file or reload the Links via File menu's Links dialog.'

Is there anyway in which the linked files can be updated AUTOMATICALLY? I was made to believe that the linked file feature was to work like x-refs - when the file is opened, the linked files would be updated.
Our concerns are that documents are going to go out the door with erroneous information because someone didn't go through the process of reloading linked files when they opened the project up for printing.
Is there a way to update the links automatically when you open the file?

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-08, 02:09 PM
Have a designated person keep the workset(s) that all linked files are on checked out routinely (don't relinquish at the end of the day).

Ideally this person is in charge of plotting a set and quality control anyway. Then the rest of the team just needs to make sure that new linked files are placed on the correct workset.

mhudson
2004-07-08, 02:25 PM
thanks Steve - that confirms some of the discussion that we have had in-house to solve the issue.
But....... doesn't the process of having linked files not link automatically (unless you own them) seem wrong? If I don't have any need of updating that file, I just import it. My reason for linking is that I want there to be a 'connection' to a file that potentially can be changed and I want to make sure that I have the latest info shown in my project.

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-08, 03:28 PM
I agree, the process is a bit flawed when you introduce worksets to a project. Ideally imported and linked files should update automatically when a project is opened, regardless of the fact that they must reside in a workset. I'll contact support to see if any similar requests are in, you should too since priorities are partially assigned by the volume of "callers"....

Prodev75
2004-07-09, 08:38 PM
I agree, the process is a bit flawed when you introduce worksets to a project. Ideally imported and linked files should update automatically when a project is opened, regardless of the fact that they must reside in a workset. I'll contact support to see if any similar requests are in, you should too since priorities are partially assigned by the volume of "callers"....

Flawed?
Having a linked file in its own workset allows the user to control when that data is published to the rest of the team members. If the interiors department is not quite finished with their task they probably don't want their changes publish yet. Otherwise they could be in the middle of the process and you'd see things all over the place.

My scenario:
I while trying to complete my task I accidentally reloaded the linked dwg file and of course someone wasn't quite ready yet. As a matter of fact she really wasn’t ready. She had things all over the place. I thought to myself “I hope someone doesn’t ask for a plot”