PDA

View Full Version : Sketching Property Line Arcs

richelleharp
2007-02-21, 10:56 PM
I am having difficulty adding a radius to my property lines. I actually am having difficulty drawing arcs. It feels clumsy, though I believe I am just doing it wrong.

christo4robin
2007-02-22, 05:39 AM
Richelle,

Your post could be more specific and we would be able to give you better feedback. That aside, I'll take a stab at it - if you know some of the dimensions, radii, etc. then draw your property line with detail lines. Once that is done, then go back and invoke the property line command from the site menu, use the pick option as you sketch the property line.

Hope that helps.

richelleharp
2007-02-22, 02:52 PM
Richelle,

Your post could be more specific and we would be able to give you better feedback. That aside, I'll take a stab at it - if you know some of the dimensions, radii, etc. then draw your property line with detail lines. Once that is done, then go back and invoke the property line command from the site menu, use the pick option as you sketch the property line.

Hope that helps.

Thanks and yes I agree that was very vague. I just needed to become comfortable with the line and arc tools. No substitute for a little practice. Correct?

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-22, 03:11 PM
Are you drawing over a cad file? Try using the "Pick Lines" option when sketching the property line segments. This lets you pick the dwg/dgn lines instead of sketching the arc segment yourself, easier, usually.

Regarding arc segments just remember that the "3 point" tool wants you to place the endpoints of the arc chord first then place the radius defining point. This tool makes it a bit easier to create a "flat" arc that spans an opening between other walls for example.

The center and endpoint option wants you to place the center point and then describe where the endpoints of the arc should be. It is not for "flat" arcs. Once you have an arc you can use the Tangent Arc tool to create additional segments that remain truly tangent to the previous. It can also be used on a previous straight segment. This tool does not lend itself to a "flat" arc in the same way the other tool does because once you place the center and first points that sets the radius of the arc so you'd have to lay out where the center should be first to get a similar result.

Sketching over a dwg without the pick lines option just means you need to be mindful of the steps that Revit expects.

cphubb
2007-02-22, 05:29 PM
At risk of getting flamed for suggesting this; We often went to AutoCAD and used the familiar tools to create the property lines, imported the dwg and used the pick tool. If you tab while hovering the entire property line can be drawing with 1 click.

The reason we did this was the table method did not close the property line for some reason we could not figure out. When we sketched in ACAD it line did close, therefore there was an accuracy problem in the Revit table either too accurate or not enough.

We have reverted to this method a couple of times when we get really strange property line boundaries with multiple tangential arcs etc. Another thing to note, we have crashed Revit many times by drawing a very flat arc between 2 straight segments. To my knowledge this bug has not be corrected and supports response was don't do that. I am getting that more an more from them.

richelleharp
2007-02-23, 05:36 PM
Regarding arc segments just remember that the "3 point" tool wants you to place the endpoints of the arc chord first then place the radius defining point. This tool makes it a bit easier to create a "flat" arc that spans an opening between other walls for example.

The center and endpoint option wants you to place the center point and then describe where the endpoints of the arc should be. It is not for "flat" arcs. Once you have an arc you can use the Tangent Arc tool to create additional segments that remain truly tangent to the previous. It can also be used on a previous straight segment. This tool does not lend itself to a "flat" arc in the same way the other tool does because once you place the center and first points that sets the radius of the arc so you'd have to lay out where the center should be first to get a similar result.
This is exactly the procedure I needed thanks so much!