PDA

View Full Version : Copying detail components from one detail to another

pkuo
2007-02-22, 05:25 PM
In AutoCAD you could copy by insertion point or basepoint ... is there a Revit equivalent? I know that if you copy a component from one detail to another, Revit will display an "orange" image of where the component was located previously. I really really dislike having to put the component somewhere temporarily then relocating it to the correct spot.

davidcobi
2007-02-22, 05:50 PM
Edit... Paste Aligned... Current View or Same Place

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-22, 06:50 PM
I think what hes referring to, is if i have two walls that have the same cornice, but they are not the same wall in the model, and i want to copy the detail component blocking from one wall section to another.

If you do paste alligned, it wont know that it goes in the same place with respect to the cornice, unless that cornice and wall are in line with the other wall section or view you copied it from.

I dont know of an exact equivilent for the copy base point that youre used to, but there are many more interesting ways around it. For the particular instance i was discussing, where blocking details must be in all the sections with the same cornice, we simply Nest the detail components in to the profile that drives the wall sweep.

Ive found if i look for the same commands as autoCAD, i get held back. If i think (bigger picture) about what those commands were helping me achieve in the actual building, i can find a better solution to the problem at hand.

wmullett
2007-02-22, 08:08 PM
Current view works when it is not in the "same place". You pick a location then move everything to the proper location.

ford347
2007-02-22, 11:01 PM
I dont know of an exact equivilent for the copy base point that youre used to, but there are many more interesting ways around it. For the particular instance i was discussing, where blocking details must be in all the sections with the same cornice, we simply Nest the detail components in to the profile that drives the wall sweep.

Ive found if i look for the same commands as autoCAD, i get held back. If i think (bigger picture) about what those commands were helping me achieve in the actual building, i can find a better solution to the problem at hand.
Good Advise!

Nesting a detail component works great and would solve a lot of headaches....but really, when I need to paste elements that are not aligned, I simply copy to clip board, click to place off the map somewhere and the element remains selected, then I select move and move it to the correct location. This is nice because i don't have to place, then re-select, then move, I just place then go right to the move tool. Not to bad really. It would be nice if there were a base point for more control, but you got to work with what you have.

Josh