PDA

View Full Version : Monolithic stairs

mtogni
2004-07-08, 04:53 PM
Monolitic stairs are finally here, but with some limitations as I discovered.
As the attachments shown, I created a simple stair with 2 ramps and a landing w/ another riser in the middle. The result is under your eyes: the landing is corner rounded! Am I missing any check or anything else?
I hope yes otherwise I couldn't use it!
Regards.

aggockel50321
2004-07-09, 03:39 PM
Not sure how you got there, but here's one using the default 7 11 stair, with the only change being to check the mono box in the properties dialog.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-07-09, 06:56 PM
Lookng at the view Andrew posted, Is there a way to get rid of the 'tread' thickness? A truly monolithic stair poured in concrete would not have the tread shwing as a separate item. I know you can reduce it to about an 1/8" but it will still read as somehting other than the concrete.

Has anyone been using an in place family to create repeated pre-cast stair elements? Essentialy talking about an extrusion of a stair in section and then just placing them where required connecting floor to landing. I know it can be done just wondering if anyoone is doing it the way it would actually be built in the field.

aggockel50321
2004-07-09, 07:23 PM
Lookng at the view Andrew posted, Is there a way to get rid of the 'tread' thickness? A truly monolithic stair poured in concrete would not have the tread shwing as a separate item. I know you can reduce it to about an 1/8" but it will still read as somehting other than the concrete.

Try this:

In the stair properties, select no riser, & make your treads as thick as your riser.

MikeJarosz
2004-07-09, 08:27 PM
Are you using 6.1? I couldn't find a property option for no riser. What we are doing is setting riser thickness to 1/32" and riser type to slanted. The result is acceptible at small scales.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-07-09, 09:09 PM
Thanks. I'll give both options a try.

beegee
2004-07-10, 02:11 AM
I know you can reduce it to about an 1/8" but it will still read as somehting other than the concrete.
I've found you can reduce the tread thickness to 0.1mm ( 0.004 " ) and it still works.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-10, 02:57 AM

The main reason why monolithic stair still has thread and riser thickness parameter so that you will be able to apply different materials if needed. This was explained in the stair crib sheet. If you just want a concrete material for the whole stairs then just change the riser and thread material also to concrete and you have a monolithic material.

Stair has been improved a lot but still has some limitations. It Can't create winding riser for L or U type stairs.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-10, 03:11 AM
Sorry forgot to attach the image

Here it is

mtogni
2004-07-10, 06:10 AM
If you just want a concrete material for the whole stairs then just change the riser and thread material also to concrete and you have a monolithic material.
Yes, but in this way you still see in section where end and where start risers & threads. Furthermore, Revit cut risers and treads with the same line width of the stairs. A better improvement could be to merge or at least draw with a thickest line when two elements as(threads & risers and the monolitic structure) are of the same material (ex. concrete).

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-10, 11:07 AM
Mtogni actually I don't have problems with regular L or U type monolithic stairs except if there is a winding riser then it fails. I don't get your problem so far because I can do regular monolithic stairs.

aggockel50321
2004-07-10, 01:02 PM
Are you using 6.1? I couldn't find a property option for no riser. What we are doing is setting riser thickness to 1/32" and riser type to slanted. The result is acceptible at small scales.
6.1, yes.

Look at the "riser type". In the drop-down menu, one option is "none"

In elevation & 3d views, you still see the joint between the treads & stringers, but no longer have a riser/tread joint.

For a slanted riser, you could make a slanted nosing profile to match the riser height.

aggockel50321
2004-07-12, 12:00 PM
We also do a lot of exterior granite stairs here. By turning the riser off, & adjusting the nosing, I can get a good representation. See attached.