PDA

View Full Version : List out My Worksets

terry.crew
2007-02-22, 07:46 PM
Is there a way to create a txt file or spreadsheet file that contains the list of worksets in a revit structure project file.

The Workset list would be a good tool when linking files and specify worksets needed.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-02-23, 03:18 AM
Unfortunately, at present the best you can do is a screen capture of the Workset dialogue.

cphubb
2007-02-23, 03:39 AM
Terry,

This is not a Revit solution, but Snagit has a scrolling capture tool that will create a delimited text file from Revit dialog boxes. It is a good tool for grabbing object styles browser worksets linetypes etc. Get it at www.techsmith.com, it has a 30 day demo and only costs $40.

Give it a try.

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-23, 03:34 PM
As an aside, the only worksets that you routinely need to worry about are the "user created" worksets. I sure hope you don't have enough in your project that you actually need to scroll :smile: The other three Revit manages internally so you can just pretend they aren't there (being humorous).

terry.crew
2007-02-25, 08:26 PM
No lads, I have tried to screen capture this is no good as I have 30 user created work sets, so this takes quite a few. Chris, thanks but I don't intend to BUY yet another software product just for this silly little revit inadequacy.

So,

Autodesk, please fix this.

By the way autodesk ........stop making some of the dialogue boxes unnessarily a fixed size.

If the Workset one was not a fixed size then this problem would be less so.........

aaronrumple
2007-02-25, 10:13 PM
No lads, I have tried to screen capture this is no good as I have 30 user created work sets, ..30! Why?
I work on some big projects - I never have more than 10...

Mark.vB
2007-02-27, 03:10 AM
Hi all:

I am new to this Revit thing and just created my first worksets today.

You say you only have 10 for a large project, any strategy for how you group elements into worksets?

I have one for columns, one for walls, one for tower floors, etc.

Thanks,

Mark.

Thomas Maleski
2007-02-27, 01:24 PM
We generally use only the default which is two. (Grids and Levels AND workset1) The largest to date is a 900,000 mixed use Retail, Office, Housing and Parking complex with only the default worksets. We have a group of 6 Revit users. With element borrowing we found there was no need to further define worksets. The only reason for us to add worksets is for file manageability (speed).

Wes Macaulay
2007-03-07, 11:03 PM
Hi all:

I am new to this Revit thing and just created my first worksets today.

You say you only have 10 for a large project, any strategy for how you group elements into worksets?

I have one for columns, one for walls, one for tower floors, etc.

Thanks,

Mark.Well, worksets are mostly for controlling visibility and demand-loading a project. So we have worksets for:

exterior walls
interior walls
unit plans
site (terrain model)
linked models (not really necessary I suppose but it's still good to have a workset for them to live on)
planting
furniture
structure above grade
structure below grade
With a structure model you probably won't need as many worksets; and even around here we've done projects where the entire building model was in Workset1 while the grids and levels were in Shared Levels and Grids. Because of element borrowing it's not a huge deal for you to go down this road.