PDA

View Full Version : I need advice - drafting views vs detail views

jond
2007-02-22, 10:03 PM
The project that I'm currently working on seems to have some issues.

The set up includes:

1 base model with a 5 story podium (podium is complete in main file) 130 MB
This file contains all of my sheets.

1 skin model for a residential tower +10 floors on top of the podium 100 MB
1 skin model for another +17 floor residential tower on top of the podium 100 MB

1 interiors model containing all of the typical units, etc. 120 MB

The building is just shy of 1 million sq ft.

Overall the performance is bearable given the size of the job - I can manage most performance issues by turning off worksets and unloading stuff I dont need. I do have an issue when it comes to details on the condo skin. Basically any view call out that has the linked skin in it is really slow when I reference it by adding more tags that "reference other view."

My wait time is sometimes over 3 minutes for a model detail view that references the skin. When I place a drafting detail view its very speedy. I have a lot of tags to place and I'm getting really fed up with this issue. Also a large portion of my details are done using the model views.

So far support has been unable to provide a solution to this issue - its been 6 weeks.

Mostly I'm looking for any warnings or ideas that people may have before I switch over most of my 3" detailing to drafting views. Most of the 3" details will be developed up from 3/4" using the model view and detail components/groups - but I'm thinking I'd like to put the group in a 3" drafted detail view. However, this approach is a real challenge because I cant "x-clip" the larger detail group in a drafting view.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them........

bgoldman
2007-02-23, 12:02 PM
Mostly I'm looking for any warnings or ideas that people may have before I switch over most of my 3" detailing to drafting views. Most of the 3" details will be developed up from 3/4" using the model view and detail components/groups - but I'm thinking I'd like to put the group in a 3" drafted detail view. However, this approach is a real challenge because I cant "x-clip" the larger detail group in a drafting view.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them........

I'm no expert on working with large models, but I do know you can x-clip from a model view to a drafting view. You just need to make sure the objects you are x-clipping are 2d elements. I usually select everything and then use the filter button to pick the x-clippable items. Hope this helps.

dhurtubise
2007-02-23, 12:25 PM
One thing you might wanna consider (and it's not related to drafting view) is to resave your model. Open the central with an audit then resave with a compress. That should get your file size smaller.

jond
2007-02-27, 02:21 AM
One thing you might wanna consider (and it's not related to drafting view) is to resave your model. Open the central with an audit then resave with a compress. That should get your file size smaller.

I do this at the end of every week. I even tried the script from support - but they told me it was already built into the latest build.