PDA

View Full Version : Odd Printing Visibility Issues...

Calvn_Swing
2007-02-23, 10:25 PM
So, here's an odd one for you:

We have a large campus project, and we are linking several files into a master documentation file. We have our links set to "by linked view" and everything looks perfect on screen. When you do a print preview, it still looks perfect. But, whenever you actually print (to pdf, dwf, etc...) the geometry for the door panels shows up in every single door - custom, OOTB, etc...

I can't seem to make this go away, and that's a bit of a problem. We're trying to send backgrounds to our consultants this evening. Yikes!

Thanks for any help!

dhurtubise
2007-02-23, 10:33 PM
is there any DYN block on those families ?

Calvn_Swing
2007-02-23, 11:01 PM
I have never heard of a DYN block before. Please clarify! It seems to have something to do with linking files, as printing out of the linked files does not cause the same error while printing out of the host file does.

Thanks again

dhurtubise
2007-02-23, 11:05 PM
Those are AutoCAD blocks. you got any autocad linked ?

Calvn_Swing
2007-02-23, 11:25 PM
We have some Autocad files linked in for our site plan, but that's it. I don't know if there are any blocks or not. There are none linked in the plan views however, so if it is view specific the views are clean. The file has the links in it on certain views (linked in with "this view only")

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-06, 07:25 PM
Update:

Still no solution. I'm sending this one to Autodesk for help.

However, I've got another one to ask about. We use filters for our code plans (fire rated walls, etc...) Add a project parameter (like, wall rating, jo momma, etc...) and give it some value, write a filter targeting said parameter, and override the graphics for those filtered objects. We use a halftone filter for the bulk, and specific filters for walls to show dashed when they are rated. The image is a screen capture from this project.

Hum: "one of these things is not like the other one..."

The odd man out is the selected wall with the dark gray fill. My first thought was: coarse scale fill pattern? Errr. My second though was something in the material properties for the CMU? Errr. My third was that the filter was somehow screwing up the hatch pattern? Errr.

Three strikes and I'm out. If you delete the filter, the wall goes back to normal. If you turn off visibility the wall disappears, halftone the gray goes light gray, just visible looks like the picture. The wall should be showing up like the wall at the bottom of the image. Only dashed lines. I checked phasing, phase filters as well. Errr.

This seems to be some weird issue with the filters that I just can't fix short of killing the filter altogether. Any suggestions? On either issue?

Thanks!

P.S.> Just so you don't think I'm totally crazy, Errr is the sound the "wrong" buzzer makes on game shows, board games, etc...

rmejia
2007-03-08, 08:57 PM
I am having the same printing visibility issues with linked files. Everything looks fine in the screen, but in the print preview or the actual print many lines disappear or it prints something different! Did Autodesk offer you a solution ?

Best Regards,
Robert

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-08, 10:19 PM
As of today we tracked down a rogue hatch pattern in our imported site DWG in the host file for all our linked files. We blew it up (exploded) in CAD, audited, purged, and reloaded it into Revit. The problem with our doors not showing correctly is now "solved."

The second problem is still ongoing and doesn't seem to involve linked files as the problem is internal to one file. Sigh...

rmejia
2007-03-09, 12:33 PM
I found a thread with a similar problem with the lines not showing up when printing a linked file and it was suggested to use Raster processing in the print settings rather than Vector processing. Tried it just now and everything printed out well.