PDA

View Full Version : Structural beam to structural column inside wall?

patricks
2007-02-26, 03:41 PM
I wish there was a way to better control the behavior of beams intersecting walls. If I have a structural column inside my stud wall, is there no way to make the beam connect to the column as it would normally do if the column were out in the middle somewhere? It always asks me if I want to make the wall bearing, and I say no, and then it automatically extends the beam to the centerline of the wall. Is there anything I can do other than manually pulling the end of the beam back to 1/2" off the column like I want it?

A3D
2007-02-26, 06:31 PM
Hi Patrick,

I had this problem for ages... in the end I found a solution that works fine for me.
I draw the structure in a separate rvt file that I later link into the architectural model. This way the beams finally stop to interact with walls.
This is quite a particular solution - works well for reinforced concrete structure based building. I haven't tested it with any other structure.

I'm still waiting for that check box that would allow us to deny beams attaching walls...

patricks
2007-02-26, 07:26 PM
Interesting idea.

I actually got it to work by making the columns temporarily taller than the tops of the beams.

Before, I had both the top of beam and the top of column at 6 1/2" below finished floor, and when a beam came up to a wall it kept trying to attach to the wall. So I made the tops of the columns even with finished floor, and the beams now attach correctly, and then when I'm done I go back and make the tops of the columns 6 1/2" below the floor.