PDA

View Full Version : Rounded wall tops

sfaust
2004-07-08, 08:27 PM
I have two questions realting to walls. I have just stared at a new office, and one of the designers likes to use walls, roofs, columns, etc that are curved in section at the top. For now, I have been just creating an in place void sweep to cut the top. Is this the best way to do this or is there a better way?

Second question; When I use the void like this, all of the curves do not seem to show up in elevation. They display correctly when cut in section, but in elevation I get the straight segments of the rectangle and just an open corner where the curve should be. Anyone know why this might be or how to fix it?

bmadsen
2004-07-08, 09:52 PM
Can you post an image of the display problem?

Have you tried using a solid sweep rather than a void sweep?

Mr Spot
2004-07-08, 11:13 PM
I would use the hosted wall sweep tool and create a profile that is adjustable for curve and wall thickness. You could also add the profile into your wall type. That way you can specify its position in relation to the top of the wall. In this case 0 and it will automatically update all your walls.

sfaust
2004-07-09, 12:09 AM
I would use the hosted wall sweep tool and create a profile that is adjustable for curve and wall thickness. You could also add the profile into your wall type. That way you can specify its position in relation to the top of the wall. In this case 0 and it will automatically update all your walls.can't believe I didn't think of that one... thanks.

Edit: Ok, so I did the wall reveal, and it works great on a lot of the walls. However, it seems to not be working on the curved walls and even a few straight ones. It will work within 1" of the top, but not at the top. See attached image. Anyone know what is interfering?

Still have the problem with the roofs, though. Upon further inspection, the curves are visible on the screen, but are lighter lineweight and do not print. See attached image.

sbrown
2004-07-09, 04:07 PM
Instead of a void why not add a rounded piece on top.

Mr Spot
2004-07-09, 10:08 PM
I just had a bit of a fiddle around with this and found that the reveal in the wall properties won't cut the curved walls as you said. For curved walls i tried doing a host sweep reveal using the same profile and positioned the reveal at the top of the wall and it worked. I couldn't recreate your problems with lineweights and elevations it all worked fine.

So in a nutshell, i would use a reveal in the wall type for the straight walls and a hosted wall reveal for the curved walls.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

sfaust
2004-07-10, 12:13 AM
hmmm... sounds good, but for some reason I can't get it to work quite like that. I've gotten it to work well enough though. I for some reason am able to do either a host sweep or an integral sweep within 1/8" of the top, but not right at the top, so I just added a little piece to the profile sticking up and now have a 1/8" lip at the top. I suppose I could also place the curve of the profile 1/8" above the reference plane. Anyway, it works for now, still a little weird though. I may also just go with the solid wall sweep with a curve as sbrown suggests... Thanks for the tips...

p.s. I attached a sample file if anyone is interested in looking