PDA

View Full Version : Beam placement within beam systems?

patricks
2007-02-27, 10:33 PM
Is there any way to move or slide the location of beams within a beam system? I tried just moving one of the beams but it says I can't move a pinned element.

I sketched the boundaries of a beam system, with beams 5 ft. apart, but I need the beams to start at one certain edge, but instead I'm getting a 3 or 4 foot space from that boundary to the first beam. I have to have that particular edge with the beam direction symbol because the opposite end is not parallel.

sfaust
2007-02-27, 11:28 PM
there's a couple things to do depending on what exactly you want.

First is justification of the system; use this if you want the entire system to shift. In the properties of system you can justify based on beginning, center, or end. You probably want to base yours on either beginning or end (whichever the beam direction symbol is on). You may have to experiment to figure out if it's the beginning or end as I'm not sure how else you can tell. Then your first beam will start 5' from that line. If you want it to start right at that line, move the line 5' down.

If you just want to move one beam off of the standard system spacing, just unpin it and move it. Works the same way as curtain systems.

Hope that helps.

Steve

ford347
2007-02-28, 02:14 AM
Just as sfaust noted, the justification of the beam system is the first thing to play with. I've always just figured beginning from whatever line I chose as the beam direction and end as the opposing side. But as far as moving the start point, the first beam's center, from beginning, will be 5' from your boundary line. So if you are a little off, it's probably because you drew your boundary off the starting point. I just went through this on a wood system. I wanted TJI's @ 16"oc, but I drew my boundary line 1-1/4" off the face of the exterior wall, to the inside of my rim board, so the first beam was 1-1/4" off, so I moved my boundary back to the exterior wall face and the whole system shifted to have my first beam start 16" to center of first beam from exterior face of wall. I've found beam systems to be very handy, but there are a few annoying steps it seems like you must get used to before they become efficient. Hope this helps.

Josh

mibzim
2007-02-28, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know the reason why you can't place a beam at the beginning of the system? Seems strange to me....

ford347
2007-02-28, 02:45 PM
You know, I think I've had it place a beam at the beginning before, because I remember having to delete the first one....but I just tried it and it did not place one at the beginning no matter what I did, so I guess you can't....and no, no idea. My guess would be that the beam system tool is meant for fill, not your boundary supports, because this could vary depending on construction type, where in steel construction you may use a beam connected to columns to define the boundary, but in many cases, this would be a wall. So the point is to define your boundaries with walls, beams or whatever supports make up this boundary, then the beam system tool is meant for the fill within those boundaries. I would like to see more options with the beam system as I've found it to be incredibly powerful in most cases. Saves a lot of time, especially since they made the beam system the 3d option.....this tool really has so much potential especially if the added function to it to control sloped elements such as rafters that could cope to their supports etc. This would literally save days in so many ways.

Josh

cphubb
2007-02-28, 04:36 PM
I want to reiterate what both Ford and sfaust stated about the justification. Another great feature of the beam system is the ability to unpin 1 member and change it as required for point loads floor openings mechanical equipment etc. If the loads change re-pin the member and it will jump back into place and change back to the beam system member.

johnf.77896
2007-02-28, 06:59 PM
I think that it should be a wish list item to be able to move it based on the justification of beginning, center or end. A parameter that you could enter in a dimension similar to the curtain wall system.

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.
www.gmkarch.com