PDA

View Full Version : Orthographic plan of tilted canopy ??

psanoor
2007-02-28, 01:27 AM
The entrance canopy of my building is at an angle of 5 degrees to the horizontal. How do I get a plan view orthographic to the true surface of the canopy? I have tried making a reference plane at that angle, but I am not sure how to get the plan out of it.

sbrown
2007-02-28, 01:31 AM
Go to a 3d view, then copy it, and go to view>orient>to plane and select the plane. Or name the ref. plane and you can chose it.

mibzim
2007-02-28, 11:58 AM
Scott
Are you proposing that the 3D view is just not dynamically rotated and left in this orientation to act as a plan view? Do you get the full documentation tools in a 3D view? Can't check right now...

sbrown
2007-02-28, 02:48 PM
you get dimensions and notes. So yes.

psanoor
2007-02-28, 04:35 PM
Yes it works. Thanks a lot! But there are a couple of issues-

1.But it actually does not become a Plan view. It remains in the 3d view. (I can't dimension it!) I have to crop the view up to the second floor plan first, and then pick the plane of the canopy.Otherwise I get the roof plan oriented to the plane of the entrance canopy (and can't really see the entire canopy plan).

2.And when I export this view into Autocad (for consultants) it exports it as a view and not as a plan. Before exporting, it also gives a message saying 'can't export cropped views to DWG'. Not sure why I am getting that message, as it is still exporting it!

Andre Baros
2007-02-28, 04:47 PM
Why not just cut a section at the correct angle... it's still not a plan, but much easier to keep track of. The problem with using a 3D view is that you can't key it in your documents.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-02-28, 04:56 PM
If you cut a section remember, it has to be a 'detail' type. A regular wall section/building section can only be cut vertically

psanoor
2007-02-28, 05:38 PM
How do you create such a section ?

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-02-28, 05:57 PM
Same as any other. From the basics tab of hte design bar choose section and then from the type selector choose the 'detail' type. You'll have to be in an elevation or section view that shows the canopy from the side. When you place the section stay close to the canopy and it should snap into alignment so you are gettting a view perpendicular to the canopy slope.

psanoor
2007-02-28, 07:54 PM
Thankyou, that works!