PDA

View Full Version : Circlular Chain with Walls??!!

ford347
2007-02-28, 04:09 PM
I have lost control of some of my exterior walls. I have a wall that I have edited the profile on to create an arch over a porch area. It is a basic wall, 2x4, 3/8" shear ea. side with stucco. I was working in a section that was cutting this wall and noticed that it was the wrong wall type, I didn't need stucco on each side, just the ext., so I selected it and tried to change types and the cirlular chain of references error popped up. (which by the way, what does this mean??) So I un-joined geometry, made sure it wasn't attached and still the same thing. So I tried to drag the ends of the wall away from there connection points and still the same error. So basically, I can't even touch the wall without this error message popping up?? This is happening to the left half of all my exterior walls in line with this wall. None of them can be edited in any way. I have a beam systems sitting on some of these walls, so I tried to make them non-bearing as well to disassociate them from the structural elements and still nothing. Does anybody no whats going on here? I can't even delete the wall. It's stuck.

Josh

christo4robin
2007-02-28, 04:45 PM
I don't know.

That said, perhaps try editing the wall sketch, copy the sketch lines to the clipboard, then finish sketch, then Remove Sketch from the options bar, make the wall change, Edit Sketch, paste your lines from the clipboard.

Good Luck

ford347
2007-02-28, 04:46 PM
I've tried editing the sketch and cannot. Same error. Seems like no matter what I try to do, no matter how simple, I simply cannot touch the wall.

Josh

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-02-28, 05:02 PM
Try copying the wall to the clipboard and pasting in the same location. This should create a 'clean' copy that you can re-edit.You might also look for any elements that are constrained to other elements that would affect how the wall can flex.

ford347
2007-02-28, 05:25 PM
Try copying the wall to the clipboard and pasting in the same location. This should create a 'clean' copy that you can re-edit.You might also look for any elements that are constrained to other elements that would affect how the wall can flex.
I'd love to, except that I can't delete the wall, but I tried to copy to clipboard, paste same place and got the same error.

I've looked for locks, constraints etc., but there are none. That's also why I tried editing the profile, dragging the ends of the walls away from the other walls, etc., but I can't edit the wall in any way or I get this error.

Josh

ford347
2007-02-28, 05:29 PM
I just tried to use the 'remove sketh' option and it let me do that, but still can't change base or top constraints or end points. Still can't delete either. When the error is given, it highlights a wall parallel with this one about 24' down the building. This other wall has the same sketch and is performing the same function, meaning it is an arched wall over a porch. All the same things are happening with this wall as well, even though these walls are not connected to each other in any way.

Josh

ford347
2007-02-28, 05:40 PM
I got it! The other wall that was highlighting was the problem. I'm not sure why it let me delete it, but I did. After deletion, it let me edit the other wall. So I copied the other wall to clipboard, then changed the other wall's type, then paste/aligned-same place with the wall I had deleted. So it's back to normal. still not sure why Revit would not allow you to delete or change a wall. This seems like a bug to me. especially since these walls were literally almost 25' apart and had nothing to do with each other.

Josh

tamas
2007-02-28, 07:53 PM
Perhaps you had a floor whose sketch was referred to by both walls.

If you still have a copy of your file where you can reproduce the circular chain error, please send it to Revit support.

"Circular chain of references" error is a "chicken-egg" problem. The elements in the chain need each other to regenerate, so neither can start.

Tamas

ford347
2007-02-28, 11:20 PM
Thanks Tamas.

Josh