PDA

View Full Version : Creating a new floor plan

jhtwo
2004-07-09, 01:27 AM
I am new at Revit but am designing a new 4 story office building and the client wants a basement. I made a LEVEL 12' below the FIRST FLOOR and called it BASEMENT. I duplicated the FIRST FLOOR plan and named it "BASEMENT". I then started to modify the Basement plan by taking out all of the walls and detaild that didn;t apply. Then I looked at the First floor plan again and found that all the walls and details were gone from the first floor plan. What did I do wrong? What is the proper way to accomplish that task?

Jerry

Scott D Davis
2004-07-09, 01:40 AM
although you duplicated the first floor plan and renamed it 'basement', it was still the first floor! Just a renamed copy of it! What you need to do is make some decisions about the model itself. Are there walls which start in the basement, and travel all the way to the roof? If so, you can go to the properties of a wall, and set base constraints at "basement" and top constraints at "roof".

Another way to do what you want is to use the stacked walls method. Go to your first floor plan, and highlihgt all the walls. Then go to Edit>Copy to Clipboard. Then go to Edit>Paste Aligned>Select Levels by Name, and select your basement level you created. You have just copied the first floor walls down to the basement. Now, in the Projetc Browser, select the Basement Level under Floor Plans, and edit the walls there as needed. The first floor walls will not change, only the basement walls.

I highly suggest runnning through some of the tutorials before jumping in head first!

Henry D
2004-07-09, 01:48 AM
What you did by duplicating the view with detailing is essentially create another view of the same plan. Even though you renamed it "Basement" it was still your First Floor, so when you were merrily deleting walls in your Basment Plan you were really deleting your First Floor walls.

There are several different ways of creating a basement plan. One way would be to create a level....

ahh ...Scott Davis beat me to it!

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-09, 04:05 PM
When creating new levels, I like to go into a section or elevation view and create it and name it there. Then I would go to the view that I just created and underlay the floor above (in this case) and then draw your new floor and walls and attach them to the floor above.

Have fun!