PDA

View Full Version : keynotes!

lila
2007-02-28, 11:51 PM
i created a keynote shared parameter so i can place keynotes in my drawing. when i place a keynote under drafting, i don't understand the difference between element, material, or user. also, i might not have my keynote settings correct but the keynotes i place will not assign a number unless a keynote value is specified. ex). wall, ceiling, duct, etc.

i want to be able to place keynotes into the drawing to call out random things, be able number them independently, and then have them automatically organized into a legend or schedule. is this impossible?

nandini
2007-03-01, 09:56 AM
try note blocks

jcdecastro
2007-03-01, 03:09 PM
Nandini has a point.

Keynotes are not what you would expect them to be.

There is no keynote editor in Revit. It is going to feel likw you are working in DOS.

There is a keynote file (a txt file) where you would type in the custom notes giving each note an identifying number.

Then reload the txt file by creating a dummy file in the same folder and selecting it by browsing from settings: keynote, then do the same thing now selecting the real keynote txt file. (I think if the file is on worksets you can save to central and it reloads the txt file for you)

Reload the keynote file every time you add a note to the file. It helps of you add alot of notes at once.

Then use the user keynote, select an object, then select the note that you made in the txt file.

Once the keynote is placed you can click on it and chage it to free end to move the leader to a desired location.

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF THE OBJECT THAT YOU USE TO KEYNOTE IS DELETED IN ANY VIEW YOUR KEYNOTE GOES AWAY. :cry:

You can take a look at the Keynotes...Very disappointed thread or any of the 153 threads on keynotes.

Here is an example of custom text in the keynote file.

.55029(tab) Project 10
.55029.001 (tab) Type 1 Dry Erase Board (tab) .55029
.55029.002 (tab) Type 2 Dry Erase Board (tab) .55029
.55029.003 (tab) emergency shower (tab) .55029

lila
2007-03-01, 04:10 PM
thanks, i'll give this a try:)

SkiSouth
2007-03-01, 11:50 PM
lila,

You have stumbled into a controversial topic that is constantly evolving. I think the factory is headed correctly, but there are just about as many ideas on how keynotes should work as there are architect and cad operators. The material option, per your first question, places the keynote assigned to the material in the material library editor. So - you place a 00550-1 on the tan brick material you created, when you select keynote->material-> and the brick - you get the keynote and text so associated. Elements can have keynotes, and there are user definable keynotes. To me, the material keynote has been easiest to follow. There are many issues with custom keynotes, but I'm quite positive the factory will provide an eloquent solution. (eventually)

christo4robin
2007-03-02, 12:11 AM
To be clear, when you use Keynotes the way Skisouth recommends, you do not need the shared parameter you refer to in the initial post.

SkiSouth
2007-03-02, 02:18 AM
Thanks Chris.