PDA

View Full Version : Wall joins at 'dog leg' - Aaagh!

tomnewsom
2007-03-01, 11:08 AM
The exterior wall, 660mm thick, comes along and 'jinks' inwards by 460mm. Because the 'jink' is les than the total width of the wall, it gets confused and behaves as the attached image. It drives me mad. No amount of pulling wall ends in and out, switching wall alignment or Wall Join Tool fixes it. Has anybody come accross this problem and found a reliable workaround?

The 'return' has to be a wall element by the way - there are a bunch of wall sweeps that need to follow the 'jink'

EDIT: Exterior on the left.

dhurtubise
2007-03-01, 02:30 PM
If all else fail you can use the Edit Cut Profile tool

patricks
2007-03-01, 03:40 PM
That can be a tricky one. Have you tried setting both the inside corner and outside corner of that jog to mitered corners? That should fix it I would think.

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-01, 03:50 PM
I would try deleting the small horizontal wall, and part of the one below it, and redrawing them. I just mimicked your condition 5 times in 9.1, and they always seemed to come together alright...

Ive found in cases like this the Order of Operations can matter greatly...

s.messing
2007-03-02, 07:10 AM
The exterior wall, 660mm thick, comes along and 'jinks' inwards by 460mm. Because the 'jink' is les than the total width of the wall, it gets confused and behaves as the attached image. It drives me mad. No amount of pulling wall ends in and out, switching wall alignment or Wall Join Tool fixes it. Has anybody come accross this problem and found a reliable workaround?

The 'return' has to be a wall element by the way - there are a bunch of wall sweeps that need to follow the 'jink'

EDIT: Exterior on the left.
Though I am unclear about how exactly you would like the wall to look, or which wall is not displaying properly, I will open up my big mouth anyway. (If you post a sketch of how you would like the walls to look, I can run a test using some of these "theories").

1. Wall joins drive me bonkers, and no matter when I think I have them conquered they always seem to win.

2. One of the most recent (and usually successful) tricks that I have learned is to select the wall, then right click on the blue dot and disallow join. This will open up some avenues that you have already tried, such as the join geometry tool, but may yield different results.

3. This is usually a long-shot, but has paid off enough times to allow me to offer it as a possible suggestion. If you select the wall and then Cut it, then deal with two of the walls and get them right, and then paste aligned same place, sometimes the wall loses a little bit of its connection to the other two walls. If this happens, then it might be just enough to make the three join correctly.

If these ideas don't work, the next set is even crazier, more far-fetched, and less reliable.

Good luck,
Stephen

nandini
2007-03-02, 10:10 AM
i had this problem....it did work out however...
take it slowly...deal with it as one join at a time...and it works...

eddy.lermytte
2007-03-02, 11:34 AM
I have this problem quite regular.
I found out that this type of join occurs when there's "another " '(or more) wall involved. More precisely being at the same location but beneath or above the "dog leg".
For example a wall with base level 01 overlapping the top level (01) of "dog leg" walls causes joints like you have. Even when you delete the overlapping wall in some occasions it looks like the remaining joins are "baked in"
In most cases I end up in deleting one of the offending walls, redraw and trim with the remaining walls without overlapping wall's beneath or above.

Wes Macaulay
2007-03-02, 04:54 PM
This is a problem which needs to be addressed; I can duplicate this problem and there really is no acceptable workaround as far as I can see. I would recommend you submit a critical level support request because this is a common situation.