PDA

View Full Version : Material Library upgrading

jwilliams.69169
2007-03-01, 06:45 PM
I run into a problem every time I upgrade to a new version of Revit where I loose all the materials that I had created for previous projects. I am saving the new materials I create under the User material library. Is there an easy way to import the older version of the users material library into the new upgraded versions of Revit.
For instance when we upgraded from 8 to 9 I lost all the old brick and stone colors that I had custom created because they were saved in the User material library. So when I went to render a project in 9 that was created in 8 all the materials came up as the gray default.
Am I created materials the wrong way? Saving them in the wrong place?

Kaotik
2007-03-01, 07:10 PM
I believe there are two ways of solving this problem...

First check under the settings, options, file locations tab for where Revit is getting the user library information from. Every time you install a newer version of Revit, it creates a new set of libraries for the newer version. So for example: you can set up the program to look in the old 8.1 file location for the user library you've modified, instead of the new 9.0 user lib. If that doesn't work, I would create a new library and save it outside of the Revit folder and then do the same thing and tell the program to get the information from the new lib. outside of the Revit folder. Just make sure every time you install a newer version you go back and add that lib.'s location of places to search for materials. I've done both before and they both worked for me. I hope this helped you out and good luck!

Sincerely,
Brian Andresen

SkiSouth
2007-03-01, 11:41 PM
The library simply has to be moved or added to the material library list. There are several discussions on the topic
Moving a library to another PC HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=22777&highlight=library)
Transfering a user library HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18590&highlight=library)

If you can't get it to work correctly post again. This is a fairly common learning process. (work through it every update.... :) )