PDA

View Full Version : Cricket trouble.

boofredlay
2007-03-01, 07:59 PM
In creating a cricket, I made a seperate roof then placed it in the proper location. When I try to join roofs I am not allowed. So I go to join geometry. All well and good until I go to the roof plan.

I get 2 different results depending on which I select first, the cricket or the main roof. It is as if the cricket disappears in the roof plan view.

I am using the same roof for both.

See attached for clarification.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

Overconstrained
2007-03-01, 11:22 PM
Are you using the join/unjoin roof tool or just the join geometry tool?

boofredlay
2007-03-02, 04:44 AM
I first tried the join/unjoin roofs but it would not work. I forget the error, I will check in the morning. The images you see are using the join geometry.

Lashers
2007-03-02, 11:51 AM
HI, not being helpfuf - sorry. But can you tell me why you are doing this? and not just flashing up against the chimmney?

I am just curious as to how different places approach the same problems.

Apart from that, I would be happy to look at the file for you and see if I could help.

truevis
2007-03-02, 12:49 PM
It looks like a little dormer to me. I start with a little dormer roof (~1' deep) by footprint or extrusion. Then join roofs by selecting the edge of dormer and face of big roof. The big roof face has to envelop the little roof -- you may have a problem with the cutout at the chimney.

PS: Google does not help on this subject!:p http://www.desiboyzmasala.com/article.asp?id=2342&at=20&c=15&s=at&o=u&wp=1&ps=15

patricks
2007-03-02, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure about the specific problem you posted.

But, you should be able to use the join roof tool, BUT your cricket roof cannot touch the main roof before using the tool. You'll have to make a tiny sliver of the cricket with 2 sloping sides, and you may have to raise the roof up just a touch so that it doesn't touch the main roof. Then you should be able to join the rear edge of the cricket to the main roof.

boofredlay
2007-03-02, 03:47 PM
See this post:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=55464

It is still not working. Is there no way to make a cricket with one or 2 roofs? You figure this would be a simple operation. Yet it is a frustrating one.

Patricks, I understand what you mean and I can create the roof "inside" the chimney, then attach roofs but when I try to edit the profile back to the chimney edge I get the error that the roofs cannot be joined.

Thanks all for your help and concern, I guess I will just have to fake the thing in.

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-02, 03:59 PM
HI, not being helpfuf - sorry. But can you tell me why you are doing this? and not just flashing up against the chimmney?
I am just curious as to how different places approach the same problems.
Apart from that, I would be happy to look at the file for you and see if I could help.

I'll answer for him - the cricket he is trying to make is a better solution technically since you don't have water running into what is effectively a wall. In climates with low/infrequent rainfall it doesn't matter so much. In climates with heavy/frequent rainfall the detail you talked about isn't nearly as common because it results in too many leaks. You'll notice the steep roof slope on his model, so I'm guessing he's in such a climate - heavy/frequent rain, snow, ice.

Also, in case of snow and ice, imaging all the weight sliding into that chimney! The cricket is a good solution. And, it should be easier than it is...

boofredlay
2007-03-02, 04:23 PM
Thanks Calvin, sorry Lashers that I did not address your question.

Lashers
2007-03-16, 01:02 PM
Cheers for the replies guys! Hadn't thought that far! I am originally from Barbados (not much snow there) and now live in England . . not much snow here either!

In Feb. we got 4 inches and the kids were off school for two days! ???