PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Memory Usage Warning

jason.combs
2007-03-02, 05:04 PM
I have a user that is experiencing the attached message using Revit. It does not seem to affect performance.

Any ideas?

System
Windows 2000
2GB RAM
10GB HDD free

nnguyen
2007-03-02, 05:46 PM
I have a user that is experiencing the attached message using Revit. It does not seem to affect performance.

Any ideas?

System
Windows 2000
2GB RAM
10GB HDD free

we had this problem at our office a while back. since we upgraded our computers to 4GB and enabled the 3GB switch and set our paging to 2x the RAM (8000) this has not occurred. We use Windows XP professional.

jason.combs
2007-03-02, 05:52 PM
Right! I know about the 3GB switch, but I think that can only be done with XP and newer?

Anyone doing it with 2000 out there?

Also does it help to use the 3GB switch if you have less than 3GB of RAM?

BomberAIA
2007-03-02, 06:09 PM
How do you change to 3 gig switch?

zanzibarbob7
2007-03-02, 06:22 PM
Right Bomber. Me too. I have 2GB but do you see a marked improvement with 4GB with the 3GB switch set? I'm also on XP pro.

Calvn_Swing
2007-03-02, 06:51 PM
There's a difference between virtual memory and your computers RAM (Memory). The "Virtual" memory is basically space set aside on your hard drive so that when you saturate your Physical Memory the extra stuff has a place to go. It is obviously much slower than Physical memory (RAM), however it is easy (free) to increase this paging file size.

Right Click on the "My Computer" icon and select "Properties"
Switch to the "Advanced" Tab
Select the "Performance Options" button
Somewhere in the dialog you should see a button that will let you "Change" the virtual memory allocation.
Select the button, and another dialog will show up with your options.
Set the minimum and maximum to whatever you wish.

At work I have 2 Gigs of RAM with a 3073MB Minimum and a 4096MB Maximum. At home I work on larger files and I've got the same RAM but a 4096MB Minimum and a 5120 Maximum. Set your minimum for what you need.

Remember though, the more your data is in the paging file, the slower your computer will run. The interface to the data on the hard drive is something like 100 times slower than accessing the same data on your physical memory. You shouldn't see any slow down adding to the paging size, but you won't see any speed up either. Long term, add RAM. As your files get bigger, and more % of them are on HDD virtual memory, the worse your performance will be.

nnguyen
2007-03-02, 07:27 PM
How do you change to 3 gig switch?

here the article that our reseller supplied us to switch to the 3GB switch:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=8018966&linkID=3770375

Elmo
2007-03-05, 06:16 AM
I'm not sure if the 3gig switch will work on window 2000. I would suggest upgrading to windows Xp. Or wait a while until Vista is supported by Autodesk and then upgrade.