PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Laptop Proc & Vid selection please

bjack56
2004-07-09, 02:40 PM
Getting ready to buy my 1st Laptop. Will not need lots of portability, just every couple of months to 1 location then back.

So...I'm leaning towards a Sager 17" 8790 w/ PENT & ATI-9700 or their 4750 (out next week) with AMD64 3400+.

I only do research when I get ready to buy so it's been a crash course & a little overwhelming. I've always used PENT's & NvIdia cards in the past.

Any suggestions for configuration's would be greatly appreciated.

SHARRY
2004-07-09, 07:52 PM
how much do those run? I was looking at getting an alienware, MJ-12m, they just released a new laptop line that includes specific builds for digital content creation, video, etc.

a P4 - 3.4 ghz, 2 sticks 1 gig ram, nvidia 5700. 15.4 or 16.4 screen. well above $3,700

hand471037
2004-07-09, 08:16 PM
Some of the Alienware products are just rebranded Sagers with fancy options. They are way cool, but if you're looking to save a little money, you might just want to look at Sager.

I'm *very* happy with my Sager 4080, the 15" prior generation to the one you're looking at. One thing to think about with the 17" widescreen laptops is weight and size. They are big and heavy, and hard to find a case that they fit into. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal now, 'cause you're planning on not moving much, but once you're able to go anywhere, will all your work, and get online wirelessly at a cafe or home, you're gonna want to carry it with you all the time. ;-)

bjack56
2004-07-10, 01:51 PM
Sharry...from my research the best place to get the Sager is PCTorque.com. There is lots of info. at notebookforums.com

I too found my way to Alienware & found Jeffry's post to be the case in regards to Sager. No doubt the AW looks great, but the extra price is not worth it to me. PCTorque offers some great colors too, but it's a hefty price IMHO.

There are 3 systems most Sager lovers seem to prefer.
1) 17" 8790 w/ P4
2) 17" 4750 w/ AMD64 - due to ship July 15. Lots of buzz about this one since it's the 1st Sager w/ AMD64 for next generation software.
3) 15" 5790 w/ P4 - those not wanting a 17" seem to really like this Lappy.

No particular order here & just my opinions from following all the Forum comments at notebookforums.com

The AMD64 may take a while to reach it's potential, but nice to be ready ahead of changing tech for a change (gamble??) not sure.

Intel provided a tweaked P4-Extreme to tomshardware.com for a recent head to head. It did out perform the AMD, but if you look at their price it's much higher.

mlgatzke
2004-07-12, 06:16 PM
bjack56 (http://forums.augi.com/member.php?u=46964),

Just for comparison sake, take a look at the benchmark thread. I benchmarked my notebook (Dell Inspiron XPS with 2GB and 128MB video card) and it rated very highly - even against many of the desktop units. It's been a wonderful unit to use.