PDA

View Full Version : Elevation issues

Brian Myers
2007-03-06, 02:40 PM
I have a Revit file that seems to be OK in most regards except for a difference in elevations. For most items they are based off of 100' which is the location of the first floor. But Cameras placed in these first floor spaces, 5' off the level, list as being 91'. But, the floor itself lists at Elevation 100'. How can this situation be resolved?

Brian Myers
2007-03-06, 06:26 PM
4 hours without an answer? Odd for AUGI! :) Ok... lets change the question... has anyone seen this happen before? If I can track down the "why" this could happen then I can likely find a "how to" solution.

Thanks in advance!

dbaldacchino
2007-03-06, 06:48 PM
Hmmmm sounds like there might be things referenced from Project Coordinates and others from Shared coordinates.

Brian Myers
2007-03-06, 09:57 PM
That was the only thing I could figure out as well... unfortunately I've not found anything in the drawing to indicate it. I'll ask some more questions to the person that actually provided me with the model.

I appreciate the answer and I'll let you know if/when I find out anything else!

dbaldacchino
2007-03-06, 11:22 PM
Is it possible to post a lean file (delete a bunch of stuff from your original file)? When it's not obvious, it's better to take a look :)

Brian Myers
2007-03-07, 03:03 PM
Is it possible to post a lean file (delete a bunch of stuff from your original file)? When it's not obvious, it's better to take a look :)

I'd appreciate it! I've wiped out just about everything imaginable (actually overkill, but the condition still exists). There are two cameras in the room, each read as an elevation of 91'. But, the middle level line is the first floor, it shows as being 100'.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-07, 03:46 PM
Tried to open the file Brian but it appears you're on the Beta team and I can't open it with 9.1 :( Any chance it's a bug that needs reporting? Have you tried replicating the problem in another file?

Brian Myers
2007-03-07, 03:51 PM
Ahhh I forgot I had opened it in there, it had a feature I thought I'd try to fix the issue, it didn't... let me see what I can do.

If this doesn't work I may very well report it....

Brian Myers
2007-03-07, 04:42 PM
Wow... at least I'm figuring out a good group of ways to butcher a Revit model... haha

Yep, its one UGLY model now... but the issue can be duplicated in it...

Thanks again...

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-07, 05:45 PM
The camera is reporting project coordinates and that seems to be the default behaviour as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to matter when you create the camera, before or after the relocation of the project.
What I find odd though is that when you place the camera the options bar asks you for an elevation relative to a level. The camera is then placed with an explicit elevation and if you move the level the camera stays in the same place, it doesn't move relative to the level.

BTW Brian, nice model ;)

Brian Myers
2007-03-07, 06:09 PM
The camera is then placed with an explicit elevation and if you move the level the camera stays in the same place, it doesn't move relative to the level.

BTW Brian, nice model ;)

Yep, when I noticed that (relative to level) I just started scratching my head as it wasn't doing what I would expect at all. That's when I came here!

Also, knocking a 56mb project down to less than 2mb takes some work. :mrgreen:

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-07, 06:15 PM
Also, knocking a 56mb project down to less than 2mb takes some work. :mrgreen:
If only real "value engineering" were that easy

dbaldacchino
2007-03-07, 06:59 PM
Just what I thought.....the camera is reading Project coordinates and you can't change that. Your level is set to Shared. Try setting it to Project and place a level on 0'-0" (oh and by the way, you don't have to delete the grid annotation to troubleshoot lol!). Now click the crop region of the camera view and set elevation and target to to 0'-0". They match up, so everything is working fine.

Brian Myers
2007-03-07, 07:42 PM
(oh and by the way, you don't have to delete the grid annotation to troubleshoot lol!). LOL I was getting desperate, I had the model down to 2.6mb and started to just delete anything that may be of any size to be able to post the model. I don't learn like others from classes and books, I learn from f#$% up programs/projects/computers and trying to find answers! :roll: :mrgreen: Luckily I'm also good at remembering my mistakes and applying those solutions when others have issues so now that I realize that eliminating that results in NIL size savings it will stay next time. :lol:

Thanks everyone!