PDA

View Full Version : serious problem - schedules

..shaner
2007-03-07, 04:13 PM
ok, ive got about 250ish rooms in this building, and ive got a room finish schedule. i click on a field, like "floor finish" which is a text parameter that ive created. i edit the field and it takes about 10 seconds to work (before i can click into the next field).. this cant happen, ive got about 3000 fields to fill in!

please help me, this is only a 4 storey 120 condo. ive done 3 others simular in size and no problems like this.

thanks for any tips

oh, ive got suites loaded in, this is definaly the issue.. they are revit links, and there are about 120 of them, about 10 different files, copied around, i turn them off and its faster but i need them on, how can i speed this up? - ive tryed to model the suites all in the project in a prevous project but it was REALLY slow, so this time i tryed to do it in links, still the same thing, and my computer is really high end i dont know whats going on

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-07, 04:18 PM
Have you got room volume calculation turned on?
Do you have a number of views open in the background?

..shaner
2007-03-07, 04:38 PM
no and no.. these links are causing some serious slow downs in some areas and next to nothing in others..

oh.. can you group fileds into sub categories?

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-07, 04:43 PM
You can group headings by selecting multiple headings in the schedule view and choosing group on the options bar.

..shaner
2007-03-07, 04:50 PM
wooow! im dumb, cant believe i missed that one! thanks!

..shaner
2007-03-07, 05:00 PM
k, one more thing, is there a way to turn off the main title?

The Sweg
2007-03-07, 05:03 PM
Yes, uder the "Appearance" tab in the schedule properties, uncheck the box for "Title" under Header text.

tomnewsom
2007-03-07, 05:42 PM
If you're entering the same information into multiple rooms, consider creating a key schedule. Check out the help file.

dgraue
2007-03-07, 06:00 PM
You can group headings by selecting multiple headings in the schedule view and choosing group on the options bar.

I am not able to select the heading to group in my door schedule view. I can only highlight the text to edit it, but I can't highlight the cell to activate the group button above.

What am I missing?

DG

The Sweg
2007-03-07, 06:11 PM
It's a little 'tricky' to do when you first try it. Click in one of the headers that you want to include in your group (but not on the text), hold down your left mouse button and drag your mouse over the other headers that you want to include in your group, when you get to the last one, let go and the "Group" button should be selectable at that point. It took me a couple of tries the first time to get the hang of it.

Hope this helps,
--Derek

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-03-07, 06:14 PM
Click and drag your cursor across the headings to select them.

..shaner
2007-03-07, 06:29 PM
got that to work.. now i want to figure out this whole key schedule thing! seems like a big time saver!!! im a self taught Reviter, there are some simple things i never caught on to

ford347
2007-03-07, 06:48 PM
Definitly read the help file on key schedules, this will really get you started. I've attached an example of a room finish schedule that uses a schedule key. It can really be a time saver especially on a project like you have described here.

Josh

dgraue
2007-03-07, 06:57 PM
Ahhh, I see. My clicking technique needs some work.
Thanks.

To follow up on my earlier question...
If your headers are in the horizontal format the text within the cell will wrap onto the next line if you pull the control grip to make the cell more narrow (see attached). This is a nice feature when your heading title is somewhat long. But, when you need the header format to read vertical and you have a long heading it doesn't seem possible to make the text wrap. The cells default to the longest heading length which can look ridiculous. (Plan check is insisting on having a specific heading...see attached).

Maybe I am missing some technique on how to do this.

..shaner
2007-03-07, 07:00 PM
ok, im trying to figure out this whole key schedule thing, how does it relate to keynotes? and how do i apply these settings to rooms? im going to the help but find myself a little bit lost, my intent is to create a room finish schedule. ive got alot of simular rooms in this building but i dont know the best way to tackle this complex schedule.

my main question is how does keynoting relate to what im doing? or does it?

also, i think i need to set up some "room styles" as i have a pull down for this in the room settings. yet, i cannot find where to set up these styles

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-07, 07:53 PM
Key Schedules relate to the Schedules themselves.

Making a key schedule called "Room Type" will add a parameter called Room Type to all of your rooms.

Now, in the key schedule, you can assign all of the instance parameters like "Wall Finish, Base, Base finish, Comments.." values, for a particular value of the parameter Room Type (click mane a new row).

For instance, you can make a row for BEDROOM SUITE: Finish = PT, Base = T1, Ceiling = GYP, etc.

Then, make a new row, call it BATHROOM: Assign different values.

Then, in your actual room schedule, simply change the Rooms to the correct type, and you wont have to type in all the instance values yourself.

FWIW, i did a door schedule of over 200 doors in well under an hour like this, for a Commericial project...

..shaner
2007-03-08, 11:45 AM
Key Schedules relate to the Schedules themselves.

Making a key schedule called "Room Type" will add a parameter called Room Type to all of your rooms.

Now, in the key schedule, you can assign all of the instance parameters like "Wall Finish, Base, Base finish, Comments.." values, for a particular value of the parameter Room Type (click mane a new row).

For instance, you can make a row for BEDROOM SUITE: Finish = PT, Base = T1, Ceiling = GYP, etc.

Then, make a new row, call it BATHROOM: Assign different values.

Then, in your actual room schedule, simply change the Rooms to the correct type, and you wont have to type in all the instance values yourself.

FWIW, i did a door schedule of over 200 doors in well under an hour like this, for a Commericial project...

OMG - key schedules are the shite! thanks for the tip, as i mentioned before im self taught, so there are some simple aspects of this software that i just kinda missed! but this is awsome, tottally saves time!

thanks