PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Service Entrance

mjdanowski
2007-03-07, 11:27 PM
here are some things which I have either not figured out how to do, or I have discerned don't exist but would be rather nice if they could exist. :) Most these will probably end up on the "wish list," but I thought I would post them here first to see if anyone has found how to do it, either by intended practice or workaround.

1. Electrical service entrance.
Though I am pretty sure there isn't such a way at the moment, it would be very nice if you could define an entrance point (or possibly even "utility" family category) with such things as available fault current. This would leave the door open for a fault current analysis tool (which is probably possible with parameters already).

2. Power Sources
In a similar problem as above, I have recently encountered that there is currently no way to define a generator, or power source for that matter. Many (especially new construction) jobs today involve a rather elaborate emergency power systems, however Revit 2 has little support this (bringing me to my next suggestion)

3. Transfer Switches
9/10 electrical design jobs will have a transfer switch somewhere in it. Though I think I have implemented something like this with 2 connectors, it is really shotty at best. A separate part type specifically for transfer switches would be ideal here. To start, a separate "choose panel" drop down for normal and emergency feeds with the option to put the load on either or both feed would be great.

4. More load classifications!
Having to categorize all my loads into power, lighting, HVAC and Other is extremely limiting as far as electrical design is concerned. Ideally what would be perfect here would to have a load classification, and then a sub-load classification below it which would be customizable. This way things like phase loads can be easily be pooled into three categories as far as parameters are concerned, but when I schedule my loads I don't have to see "Power - Room 135" for all of my receptacle circuits. What would really be great is if I could say "Update Names" on the panel schedule as see "Recept - Room 135" where Recept would be the load classification.

5. Acceess to the "Elevation" family parameter
Pretty please with sugar on top

Ultimately, what Revit systems desperately needs it more Part types for more complex families and equipment. Just off the top of my head, these would be a good start:

Generator (best to keep this specific as generators have a LOT of different variables)
Utility
Load Switch (and current "switches" could be renamed "control")
Motor Starter
Controller (possibly under Motor Starter)
Automatic Transfer Switch
Dimmer
Motor Control Center (Like a switchboard, but with motor centric parameters)

Mottiqua
2007-03-09, 03:40 PM
I've had the same issues, and I've had to create families for all those you mentioned.
Generators, ATS's, MCC's, switchboards, substations, etc.....all the 'heavy duty' electrical equipment.....

I think part of the reason for that is because those types of equipment require busduct and conduit....which revit does not support at this time. You can 'fake' your way through it, by being clever and utilizing some of the other tools....but some of the generated calculations won't be dependable.

I agree with the load classifications. In my 'cad' panel schedules that are in excel, I break up my loads into Lighting, Receptacles, Power, Kitchen, HVAC, A/C, and Power Equipment. It would be nice to see more classifications.