PDA

View Full Version : Nested Key Schedules

byori
2007-03-09, 03:33 PM
Has anyone worked on creating nested key schedules? Here's my scenario:

I like to use Key Schedules for room finish packages - say finish package 'A' has floor type CPT-1, wall finish WC-2, ceiling ACT-1, etc. That's a simple Key Schedule, and is pretty straightforward.

Going one step further, is there a way to make a Key Schedule that lists the floor finishes (CPT-1, VCT-1, RF-1, etc), and link it back to the Finish Package Key Schedule, which, in turn, is linked back to the Room Schedule? Ideally, I'd like to make a finish key schedule for each of my surfaces: wall, floor, ceiling, base, etc. I believe you'd end up having nested keys/ schedules. Has anyone played with this?

-Bob

greg.mcdowell
2007-03-09, 04:25 PM
I'm having a little trouble visualizing this... could you sketch out and upload a diagram? It sounds like you're trying to create a circular chain among the schedules which I don't think you'll be able to do... but if I'm understanding where you might be headed I am intrigued...

byori
2007-03-09, 10:49 PM
OK, good idea. Here's an image of the three schedules I would like to relate.

I've made a Revit model and scheduled the rooms. One of the parameters in the schedule is "Finish Package". I have 3 finish packages defined, "A", "B", and "C". Each package has a finish for the floor, walls, accent wall, base, ceiling, etc. I've made a Key Schedule with the Key Name "Finish Package". For clarity, I've circled the Key in red and related it to the key in my "Finish Packages" key schedule.

What I want to do is create a key schedule for each type of finish. As an example, I've made a "Floor Finish Schedule" Key Schedule.

Let's say I've specified RF-1 as the floor finish in Finish Package C. I would like RF-1 to key to another Key Schedule, where I could specify manufacturer, color, model, etc. I've circled this desired relationship in blue.

I've been able to relate the "Room Schedule" to the "Finish Packages" key schedule, no problem. What I want to do is relate the "Floor Finish Schedule" key schedule to the "Finish Packages" key schedule.

Does this make any more sense?

Thanks for looking!

-Bob

ford347
2007-03-09, 11:29 PM
I've been wanting to do this for quite some time now and have even attempted it in the past and have hit the same roadblock. I don't believe it can be done in Revit at this time. I would love it if it could. For now, I've still created the 2nd key schedule and placed it on my sheets, but I have to make sure I'm typing the right thing that coordinates with that key schedule.Josh

Steve_Stafford
2007-03-10, 05:57 AM
Sorry mate! Nope...schedule keys don't "see" each other. You might be able to pull it off with a nested family that has all this data associated with various types so you could choose the right nested family and have the related data show up. That's off the cuff...a torn, shabby...cuff...

or...it sounds like another API task for Mister Jarosz...

byori
2007-03-10, 10:55 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'll add it to the AUGI (and the Jarosz) Wish List.

tomnewsom
2007-03-11, 09:20 PM
What you are describing here is a relational database, which lets you link the variables of one field to a set of other fields. Not in revit's capability right now, but you might like to try using ODBC to link your intial key schedules into an Access database. You could propbably create your 'sub-keys' in access and generate new tables and reports there to display the data. Probably a bit too much effort all round though.