PDA

View Full Version : Top Plate on Block

mjl
2004-07-10, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone and thanks for all the help to date.

Next question- I want to put a 2x6" sill plate on top of a block wall around the perimeter for the roof trusses to bear on.

Would I just do a wall 1-1/2" high or is there a proper way to do this. (easy way)

Mr Spot
2004-07-10, 11:11 PM
Create and add a hosted profile to the top of the wall in the wall type properties.

This should give the desired result and will automatically update all walls of this type.

PeterJ
2004-07-11, 08:48 PM
If this plate is only visibke in sections I would probably just place it in the sections that require that level of detail as a detail component or perhaps even draw it as a combination of lines and filled regions. For my money wall plates and similar concealed items are just to be drafted like showing studs in a timber framed wall.

mjl
2004-07-11, 09:40 PM
Peter

Would you keep the wall height down the plate thickness and offset the roof so the plate can be drawn in.

I did the host sweep and the lines are thick in section and your right about the detail drawings. It doesnt do well. But then again I am not that experienced with Revit.

Roger Evans
2004-07-11, 09:57 PM
It will be all a matter of choice & circumstance ~ but I would not bother generally ~ if needed or when you come to the detail you can always introduce extra levels below the truss / ceiling line / or just off set the wall below the level.

For an unusual eaves where you want / need to visualise it I would attempt to model it as best I could ~ that way you see knock on problems / junctions quicker

ita
2004-07-12, 01:45 AM
I find that modelling the "not often seen componants" worth the effort.

By creating a profile family of plates and beams, sweeping the section is very easy and fast. Although Mr Spot's hosted profile approach is a fantastic way to go!! (I must use that feature more!!)

Peter's approach produces the required result in the documents , however 2D only represents the structure in the documents and for me that raises some questions. Plus I have to remember to include that detail at a later date and unless I record it somehow I will forget to show it!! (Aging mind!!??)

Revit is a BIM app and 2D representations are not recorded as objects in the data base. If at some stage you were taking off quantities from the schedule etc these items will not be represented. For me I'd rather have the model representing the structure as completely as possible and then all the issues are visible and resolved in the documentation saving those phone calls from the contactor to resolve the missed issue.

It is also a habbit thing - if I get into the habbit of modelling the structure then I know that I will work to preserve the integrity of the model - then I feel that I am more disciplined in my methods. I also feel that it means that my documents are representitive from the start and I am not having to go back to the model to correct things.

We all have our own ways of working! Determine what works for you and set your libraries and system up to work the way you work. There is no right or wrong way - just the way that works for you.

mjl
2004-07-12, 01:59 AM
Ian
I agree with your way of thinking. Only problem as I mentioned earlier is the section has thick lines showing the hosted sweep and I dont know how to change that. Not good for doing detail sections to show the contractor.

beegee
2004-07-12, 02:32 AM
Ian
I agree with your way of thinking. Only problem as I mentioned earlier is the section has thick lines showing the hosted sweep and I dont know how to change that. Not good for doing detail sections to show the contractor.
You can use yhe Linework tool to change the appearance of the sweep lines in the section view.

PeterJ
2004-07-12, 03:56 AM
Would you keep the wall height down the plate thickness and offset the roof so the plate can be drawn in.
It does depend on the construction of course, but if this were most fields other than industrial one wants a smooth junction at wall/roof intersection. So that this shows correctly in internal views I would normally allow the roof to be joined to the walls and then just do the overwork in a detailed section view. That way I can determine what goes on and use the edit cut profile tool to tidy up any anomalies in finer levels of detail.

gregcashen
2004-07-13, 04:07 PM
For my part, I have modelled mine in the past. I just use a hosted sweep along the top of the foundation wall. It is pretty straightforward and often highlights alignment issues that need to be clarified in the framing details. In most cases, the contractor can figure this out in the field, but I like to model accurately and this is a very easy thing to do. That said, I don't think it is any better than Pete's method or anyone elses here. It really is a fiddly bit and it all comes down to how anal you are about this kind of stuff!