PDA

View Full Version : Can't create sweep along wall opening

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-11, 08:03 AM
This is very simple and quite straight forward but revit fails and says "can't create sweep" .

It is a simple wall with its profile edited to create an arc opening then want to apply a in- place sweep molding that will follow the arc.

See attached figure.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-11, 08:15 AM
The sweep should actually follow the edge opening not just the arc.

beegee
2004-07-11, 08:20 AM
Pick the workplane and sketch the path in 3D.

Simple rectangular profile used in this example.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-11, 08:24 AM
Have you tried a profile with a curve on it beegee? Mine has a curve profile.

I did use pick path by selecting the edge of the opening then sketching curve profile in plan view then revit fails.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-11, 08:37 AM
Now I got it Beegee thanks.

Just one question why should I redraw the path if I can just pick it from the edge of the opening and when i do that that is the time revit will tell me it can't create the sweep WHY?

beegee
2004-07-11, 09:54 PM
Now I got it Beegee thanks.

Just one question why should I redraw the path if I can just pick it from the edge of the opening and when i do that that is the time revit will tell me it can't create the sweep WHY?
Mine was made from picking the path along the edge of the opening. Maybe you need to post the file you're working on, or recreate just that element and post it.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-12, 03:18 AM
Here is the element that gives me a problem. I just don't understand why if i draw the path manually it is just fine but if i pick the path it gives an error.

PeterJ
2004-07-12, 03:51 AM
It works fine for me just picking the path in your project. Even using a curved profile.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-12, 03:58 AM
That is my problem Peter if i use the pick path revit tells me that error cannot be ignored cannot create sweep.

If you can see the file that i have attached already has a path picked from the edge of the opening but when i click finish profile then here goes the error dialog box.

PeterJ
2004-07-12, 06:30 AM
If you can see the file that i have attached already has a path picked from the edge of the opening but when i click finish profile then here goes the error dialog box.
I think I see where you problem lies, if the profile you show in that image is representative of what you are trying to achieve. The junction between the horizontal paths and the section of arc effectively form an angle that is too tight for the sweep tool to accommodate and it is finding a comflict in the geometry in your sweep whereby some part of that stepped form would break through itself where the angle was formed and I think this raises the error. You can probably solve this by using a flatter form.

I think David Conant or Steven Campbell have described the sweep tool as analogous to bending copper pipe on site, small diameter pipe can make tighter bends than large diameter pipe.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-12, 07:43 AM
AHA ... LOL yeah you are right Peter i've seen that post before.

I'm just wondering why such a limitation doesn't exist in viz/max lofting tool which is the same as sweep in revit no matter how tight is the angle of your path would be and no matter how big or small your profile is that is to be lofted it always create a nice sweep without any trouble at all.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-12, 07:48 AM
Sorry Peter, but it just does not make sense to me if really the reason behind it was the one you explained in your post, why it will not fail if I draw the path manually?

PeterJ
2004-07-12, 09:21 AM
Perhaps you are right, however, the issue seems specific to your instance of the problem as both beegee and I were able to create the profile by picking edges.

Why don't you redraw this situation and see if it occurs again, it maybe some problem with your installation or the profile you are trying to sweep.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-12, 10:30 AM
Sorry to bother both of you guys but it is not a big deal. As long as I can still do the sweep by manually drafting the path it is ok.
Thanks anyway, I Love Revit

tatlin
2004-07-12, 12:20 PM
I think I see where you problem lies, if the profile you show in that image is representative of what you are trying to achieve. The junction between the horizontal paths and the section of arc effectively form an angle that is too tight for the sweep tool to accommodate and it is finding a comflict in the geometry in your sweep whereby some part of that stepped form would break through itself where the angle was formed and I think this raises the error. You can probably solve this by using a flatter form.

I think David Conant or Steven Campbell have described the sweep tool as analogous to bending copper pipe on site, small diameter pipe can make tighter bends than large diameter pipe.
The point that David and Steve raised earlier had to do with sweeping a large profile around the 'inside' of a tight radius in the path. Generally cases like that cause self-intersecting geometry. I don't think that's the case here because there is only one large arc in the path.

Can you try recreating the sweep in your file? I don't see a reason why it would not work using 'Pick Path'.

sbrown
2004-07-12, 01:18 PM
Pick path doesn't allways orient the profile in the "right" direction automatically, Try flipping the profile prior to finish sweep, see if thats the issue.

David Conant
2004-07-12, 01:56 PM
Self intersection does cause sweeps to fail in some cases, but your sweep should work. I have built a version with arcs in both the profile and path. I found that if I tried to define the entire path first, it did not succeed, but if I defined the path as only the arch segment first, finished the swepp, and then went back and edited the path to take up the entire opening, it did work. I'll pass this on to our QA group for more investigation.

sbrown
2004-07-12, 01:59 PM
David alludes to a good tip, Create only part of the sweep path, then add segments to find out where it fails and often it wont.

Arnel Aguel
2004-07-12, 11:37 PM
MIllion thanks to all of you guys.