PDA

View Full Version : Design Options Help...

dpasa
2007-03-11, 04:52 PM
I start with the main exterior walls . I also make the walls for the kitchen. I start the design options dialog and I make an option set with two options. O1,O2.
O1 is the kitchen as I already have it, so I push the "add to option" button and add them.
Then I push the edit option button, and copy and paste them to the same place and I want to move one a little and change the option they belong to O2. I mean I want the new pasted walls to appear as O2.
Unfortunately I can't do that, I get an error message. Also from the props dialog I can't change the option a wall belongs to.
So the question is, how can I change the option an element belongs to, without redrawing the element? This would be very handy if all we need is small changes.

kpaxton
2007-03-11, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately I can't do that, I get an error message. Also from the props dialog I can't change the option a wall belongs to.So the question is, how can I change the option an element belongs to, without redrawing the element? This would be very handy if all we need is small changes.OK, Let me see if I understand you correctly. To answer your statement first, YES - it would be nice if we could do a Properties (PR) on an item and change the Option it belongs to. I believe however, that this is prevented on purpose because of the nature of how the geometry in the Design Options interact with one another. (I think one of the Founders commented on this issue a while back too).

I'm unsure of why you're getting the error (whichever one it is). I followed your steps as you outlined and could not reproduce or make an error.

The short answer to your question of "how can I change the option an element belongs to, without redrawing the element?" is relatively simple, and no 'redrawing' is required -

Go into the Option with the geometry you want.
Highlight the geometry and hit Ctrl-C (Copy)
Get out of this Option / Go into the new Option(s)
Edit > Paste Aligned > Same Place
The geometry is placed in the new Option!!
NOTE: IF you try to Copy geometry from the Main Model and then Paste it into an Option...(Without using the Green Plus Add button) you will get a Warning. Why? Because there is still geometry in the Main Model and they overlap each other. Once you paste into the option, you'll need to delete the geometry in the Main Model to avoid the warnings (or use Cut instead of Copy).

Through experience, I have found that creating as much of the model that is meant to be 'shared' first, THEN copying items to be modified/changed/optioned saves a lot of headaches later on. I try to wait until the last possible moment before using the 'Green Plus Add' button.

I've enclosed an image for reference that may clarify some of these things. I hope this helps.

Kyle

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-11, 06:18 PM
I start with the main exterior walls . I also make the walls for the kitchen. I start the design options dialog and I make an option set with two options. O1,O2.
O1 is the kitchen as I already have it, so I push the "add to option" button and add them.
Then I push the edit option button, and copy and paste them to the same place and I want to move one a little and change the option they belong to O2. I mean I want the new pasted walls to appear as O2.
Unfortunately I can't do that, I get an error message. Also from the props dialog I can't change the option a wall belongs to.
So the question is, how can I change the option an element belongs to, without redrawing the element? This would be very handy if all we need is small changes.

Im not sure im understanding you correctly, but if you want to simply move or edit something between options, you need to add it to both options, and then move it in the O2 option...

You dont need to copy and past, just select the objects, and click the button with the plus sign in the option toolbar, and slect both options, so both o1 and o2 start out the same...

dpasa
2007-03-11, 07:57 PM
Get out of this Option / Go into the new Option(s)

This is what I didn't do. How foolish of me... I pasted the objects and then tried to add them to the O2.

Ok, it's Sunday night and I am still at the office so maybe this can happen to everyone.

Thanks, both of you.

twiceroadsfool
2007-03-11, 09:35 PM
LOL, it happens to us all. Last night (saturday) at 7pm i was tabbing through the elements of a model group, and trying to move one, and i was completely unable to figure out wht i kept getting an error message. then im like "Jesus, wtf am i doing!" Thats when you have to STC, put the mouse down, and slowly walk out of the office for the rest of the weekend...

:)