PDA

View Full Version : Linework in Linked files

ArchWestCY
2007-03-12, 06:12 PM
I have linked 8 buildings into a campus file. The campus file shows all of the buildings as they relate to one another. This has worked great for several projects of this nature. The problem I am having now is: I need the signs to show-up as dashed lines. I can get them to be dashed lines in the family, but when I load it into the project they are solid. I can use the linework tool in the project and the lines turn dashed (look great). When I link it into the campus all lines are solid. Nothing I have tried (not even filters) has any effect on the lines once the file is linked.

I am hoping that someone has had this problem before. How did/would you fix it?

Thanks
ArchWestCY

dhurtubise
2007-03-12, 06:48 PM
You can manage the display of linked file through visibility / graphics
Change the By Host to anything you want

brd
2007-03-12, 07:49 PM
Under the Visbility Graphics, go to the "Revit Links" tab and you'll see all of the linked files listed with a button to the right that says "By Host View". Click that button and you'll get a whole new list of visibility options, which are grayed out until you click on "Custom". Click on the custom and the options below are available to change, as well as three more tabs that are available to change. Surely you can find the setting you need there.

ArchWestCY
2007-03-12, 09:52 PM
I finally got it to work. I tried both of your's advise. It wasn't working and I was about to scream. What you guys where saying makes good sense, but didn't work until I did one more thing. I went back to the family and setup a new sub-category for Generic Model. I called the new sub-category 'SIGNAGE'. Then I set all of the objects in the family to that sub-category, and that categories projection linetype to Dash. Then when I loaded the new version into the projects, it was dashed. I then reloaded each of the Revit Links into my campus file. All of the dashed lines came in as dashed, and I did a little dance around my desk. Thanks for the help, and ideas.

Thanks
ArchWestCY

dhurtubise
2007-03-12, 10:03 PM
Did you took a pic of that little dance ?

clog boy
2007-03-13, 08:22 AM
Do show please :p
Managing object styles this way works best, I suppose. Try to incorporate as much behavior as possible in your Families, don't manipulate it's presentation on Project level and CERTAINLY not within a Linked File.

I had my share of happy dances, my share of frustration, and now I simply don't care as long as I can make things work.